Celebration of Success
Community Connection - Summer 2022
Congratulations to the Class of 2022!
The Class of 2022 finish their time in South Kitsap School District ready for the future with the skills needed for success. While the pathway for each student is different, they are ready for their next steps. Ready for the workplace, ready for military service, ready for college or trade school.
- 599 graduates- 460 from South Kitsap High School, 104 from Discovery, and 35 from Explorer
- 73 students graduated with Associate Degrees
- Class of 2022 was offered more than $2million in scholarships
Thankfully, the SK school community was able to celebrate the accomplishments of the graduates with in-person events including prom, community parade and full graduation ceremonies. The majority of the middle school and elementary school events were also held in person and included moving up ceremonies, recognition assemblies, camp visits, and field days.
Congratulations to the Class of 2022 and best of luck in the future!
Senior Parade Rolls On!
One bright spot to come from the COVID pandemic is the senior parade. In 2020 when schools closed for in person learning and the end of year recognition events were canceled, families of graduating seniors looked for a way to celebrate graduates. The South Kitsap downtown senior parade was born and has been going strong for three straight years.
Seniors decorate their cars, wave flags, and smile from ear to ear as family members, local businesses, and the community cheers from the parade route. The seniors drive from South Kitsap High School along Bay Street and then circle back. A local DJ blasts music to keep spirits high throughout the event and South Kitsap pride flags fly in front of businesses.
This community continues to show up for each other during difficult times. It is heartwarming to see the support students have starting early and culminating in events like this parade!
A Few Awards & Accolades
NJROTC Distinguished Unit
The South Kitsap High School NJROTC Wolf Battalion earned recognition as a distinguished unit!
Track State Champs
The SKHS relay team of Marissa Crane, Elise Hopper, Savannah Kambich, and Ella Hopper won State Titles in the 4x200 meter and the 4x400 meter relay. Ella Hopper also won the State Ttiel for the 300 meter hurdles and was named Kitsap Sun Female Athlete of the Year!
NMSCI Award Winners
Congratulations to the SKHS students who received the National Math and Science Initiative (NMSI) STEM Star Award for 2022! They each demonstrated growth and leadership this year, both in and out of the classroom.
NJROTC Distinguished Unit
Track State Champs
Career Pathway is the Choice for Some SK Grads
Thank You and Best Wishes SKSD Retirees!
- Burley Glenwood Elementary: Karla Crowell, Ruth Carlson, Laura Kornelis, Lori Luder, Beth Richardson, Bob Thomsen, Hilloah Watson
- Cedar Heights Middle School: Ruth Lucero, Kim Nixon
- Discovery High School: Naomi Andersen, Gloria DeRosa, Jerry Polley
- East Port Orchard Elementary: Carol DeCrona, Cyndee Edgecomb, Michael Johanns, Paula Possanza, Dotti White
- Hidden Creek Elementary: Valerie Styrlund
- John Sedgwick Middle School: Scott McKay, Jerry Moses
- Manchester Elementary: Joan McCarthy, Michele Noble
- Marcus Whitman Middle School: Dave Sparks
- Mullenix Ridge Elementary: Meg Bidwell-Klein, Barb Thompson
- Olalla Elementary: Wendy Baldwin
- Orchard Heights Elementary: Tammy Emerson, Mary Isar, Linda Shaw
- Sidney Glen Elementary: Jane Dierck, Jason Shdo, Kristi Lee Zmijewski
- South Colby Elementary: Mae Hawkins, Cathie Williams
- South Kitsap High School: Steve Cobb, Cathy Duttry, Jim Fairweather, Martha Hammann, Barb Lieseke, David May, Ed Santos, Julie Smith, Mary Ann Thomas
- Business Services: Laura Ruby
- Food & Nutrition Services: Shannon Kelly
- Teaching & Learning: Kimberly Eckerman, Valerie Kimball, Norma West
- Transportation Services: Michelle McLean, Kimberlee Pickering, Marietta SanFilippo
Support for South Kitsap Families
FREE Summer Lunch
The FREE summer lunch program will continue to serve South Kitsap kids this summer Monday – Thursday starting on June 27. Free meals will be served to children 18 years and under. No pre-orders are required, simply visit one of the locations below.
- East Port Orchard Elementary, June 27 – August 11 (except July 4). Mon–Thurs 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
- Waterfront Wednesdays (sack lunch). Port Orchard Waterfront Gazebo. July 6, 13, 20, 27, August 3, 10, 17, 12:00 – 12:15 pm
- Orchard Heights Elementary July 18 – August 11. Mon–Thurs, 11:15 am – 12:15 pm
- Marcus Whitman Middle School July 18 – August 11. Mon–Thurs, 10:30 am – 11:30 am
- South Kitsap High School July 18 – August 11, Mon-Thurs, 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- July 20 Board Meeting (in person/Zoom)
- August 3 Board Meeting (in person/Zoom)
- August 17 Board Meeting (in person/Zoom)
- September 7 First Day of School Grades 1-12
- September 12 First Day of Kindergarten