The Buzz in Room 218!
September, 18, 2016 Edition
Virginia Food Map Supplies Needed
This week in Social Studies as part of our review of the Virginia Regions we will be making a food map that represents the the landscapes across Virginia. We are very luck in that some items have already been donated, but we are still in need of the following:
-1 bag of original flavor Sunchips
-2 bags of Bugles
-1 roll of green yarn
If you are able to send any of these items in it would be great appreciated! If these could be sent in by Wednesday, September 21st, then we will have them in time to complete the project on Thursday and Friday.
Monticello Field Trip
Technology Resource Permission Slip-Coming Home on Monday
We are extremely fortunate at Brownsville for our fifth grade students to be one-to-one with laptop computers. To continue to enhance their learning, and create 21st century learners, we are hoping to teach the students some new online technology resources. These are free resources and will allow students to learn new skills, collaborate with classmates, and apply their knowledge while creating projects.
Please take a look at these technology resources that we would like to use with your children:
· Hstry.co is a resource that is used for making online interactive timelines.
· Bubbl.us is a resource that is used for online brainstorming and mind mapping.
· Myhistro.com is a resource that is used to create a geo-location interactive timelines.
· Prezi.com is a resource that is used to create interactive presentations.
· Animoto.com is a resource that is sued to create video presentations.
These websites require parent permission, as our students are less than 13 years old. All work on these resources will NOT be made public, and will only be shared with their teachers. Teachers will be monitoring all work to ensure students’ privacy is protected. If you have any questions please reach out to your child’s teacher and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Kelli Crickenberger, Karen Morris, and Leslie James
Please look for this permission slip to come home in Monday folders. If you prefer for your child not to participate, just let us know. We are prepared to have different project options for parents who choose to have their child not participate.
- This quarter we are continuing to work on the reading strategies of Schema, Visualizing, and making Inferences. All reading groups are continuing to read their Fantasy genre novels.
- Students will also continue to have Purposeful Reading Homework. Students will be reading a text passage based on their current Social Studies unit for a different purpose each night. If students have kept up with their Purposeful Reading Homework all week, then they may use it on Friday if there is a reading quiz.
- All word study groups are now meeting. Students who are in Word Study with me receive their words on Mondays, and then complete 3 activities online in Google Classroom. Students should be able to complete most activities in class, but their Word Study notebook should come home nightly so that they can review their words.
- Root Word Study I and Root Word Study II are now meeting with Mrs. Dettmann. If you have any questions please email Mrs. Dettmann at email@example.com.
- Students are currently working on the rough drafts of their essays based on the Writer's Eye piece of art from the UVA Art Museum. This week we will also begin to learn the process of planning and writing an expository five paragraph essay.
- All math classes are meeting daily and settling into their daily routines. If you have questions or would like any additional information please contact your child's math teacher for a more timely response.
Susan Greenwood: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bobby Humphrey: email@example.com
Karen Morris: firstname.lastname@example.org
Leslie James: email@example.com
Kelli Crickenberger: firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Studies & Science
- In 5th grade we do Social Studies and Science rotations. Last Friday the students finished their first Science rotation on Geology with Mrs. Greenwood.
- Beginning tomorrow, September 19th, the students will return to Social Studies in homeroom with me. We will be reviewing regions of Virginia, Indian groups, Jamestown, and the products and industries of Virginia. This rotation will continue through October 7th.
- September 19th-Social Studies Unit begins/Early Fall Bee Classes Begin
- September 20th-Field Trip to Monticello
- September 22nd-Destination Imagination Information Meeting 6:30-7:30
- September 23rd-PTO Movie Night-Movie begins at 7:15 ($5 per family)
- September 25th-Grounds Beautification
- September 26th-No School for Students (Staff Professional Development Day)
- September 30th-Spirit Day-wear your favorite sport's teams hat or shirt
- October 3rd-Kindness in Chalk 7:00am-7:30am