Learning Experience Four
Response to Intervention
- Focuses on changing socially significant behaviour in meaningful ways
- Deficits of autism result largely from a learning “blockage” which can be overcome by intensive teaching
ABA is a philosophy that involves the scientific and systematic application of methods based upon behavioral principles. This approach has been proven to be effective with a wide variety of behavioral disorders and symptoms. It has been effective when applied to working with individuals with an autism spectrum disorder in that intervention is focused on stetting up the environment, reducing behavioral symptoms and increasing functional replacement skills.
Math talk is designed to help build a community of learners who engage in meaningful math discussions. The discussions are meant to give the students and opportunity to explain their thinking. It should be noted that it is more of a math conversation, where students engage in as much child-top-child talk as possible and the teacher acts as a facilitator and guide. During math talks students are asked to explain their thinking, answer questions, and justify their answers. They may use “proof drawings” to justify their answers. The dialogue that stems from the math talk increases student confidence and helps students to use mathematical and everyday language.
Reading Fluency and Repeated Reading
- To lead people is to walk beside them, and listen
- Take the time to understand and
- Inspire them to share their vision
- Celebrate their success
- Collaborate with them
- Become like the geese and take turns leading the flight.
- Then fly together with purpose and enthusiasm.Learning Community
I want to thank all of you for your ideas, your input, the honesty, your constructive views and for deepening my understanding along the way. It has been a pleasure and an honour to meet all of you and to become part of this collaborative learning community.