Newsletter Week 1 Term 3
Lauriston School 26th July 2022
What a miserable start to Term 3! I do hope you are all staying safe out there and don't envy these work conditions for our rural community. Keep an eye out for early morning messages over the next week or so as we work with Methven Travel to determine road conditions in this weather, I know we are looking forward to Snow Sports commencing next week-and can see heavy snow forecast for early Monday-so keep your phones close by for any updates impacting our plans for this term.
There will be a few important panui coming out over this week where we are asking for feedback from our community around:
- Our two year review of the way we have been reporting student achievement and progress to whanau
- Our modes of communication across the school
- Our long term planning for E.O.T.C (Education Outside the Classroom) programmes
We value your feedback and hope that families take the time to provide quality insight and perspective into the changing needs of our community as we look ahead. After all the school is not the same school it was 5 years ago-not only have we grown in size and reputation- but we have experienced many changes over that time, including most recently a newly confirmed Enrolment Zone for Lauriston School which the BOT will provide an update to the community on also, next week.
As I entered this term, I took stock of a few milestones for me professionally that have, in all honesty all happened in the what seems now the blink of an eye! This year, I not only celebrate nearly 25 years teaching experience, but also 10 years Principalship-including 5 years as Principal of Lauriston School. Anjuli and I also look forward to a return to Lauriston School for our family with Harper set to start her primary schooling in Term 4! It only seems like yesterday when she was born. I decided to include a photo today from when I was just about to embark on my first sole charge Principalship at the age of 30-yikes where did the time go!
Noho ora mai, stay safe whanau!
Bring on the Presents
Claire Copland who turned 8 on July 4th, Ciaran Nish who turned 9 on July 5th, Sophie Back who turned 7 on July 7th, Tom Quinland who turned 9 on July 9th, Sasami Koizumi who turned 10 on July 10th and Bruno Cairns who turned 6 on July 14th.
This week we have Lachie Gray who will turn 6 tomorrow and Elena Mcnally who will turn 8 on Friday - we wish you both very happy days also!
- Snow Sports Programme - 2nd - 4th August
- Powhiri / Tree Planting - 8th August
- LSS Meeting 7pm - 10th August
- Jump Jam Competition @ Ellesmere College - 13th August
- BOT Meeting 7pm - 15th August
- Winter Tournament Yr 5 & 6 - 18th August
- Opuke Staff Only Afternoon - 23rd August
- Whole School Ski Day - 24th August
- Whole School Speech Finals - 26th August
- Cluster Speech Finals @ Lauriston -30th August
- Yr 5 & 6 Rotary Speech Finals - 7th September
- Hangi - 9th September
- Zone Winter Tournament - 15th September
- BOT Meeting 7pm - 19th September
- Opuke Cultural Festival - 22nd September with PP 23rd
- Pet Day - End of Term Three - 30th September
Please see attached copies of these forms.
Please note nominations close on Wednesday 17th August at 12 noon.
This term we are starting back up the school canteen. Each Friday we will offer a delicious hot lunch for students to purchase. The canteen group is Sam, Willow, Katie and Henrietta. This week we are going to prepare hot dogs. If you would like a hot dog then fill in the order form and return it with your money by Thursday. There will be a gluten free option if needed.
Number of hotdogs @ $2.50 each______________
Total amount of money ___________
Monday – Friday 8:30am to 3:30pm