CENTRAL SANDHILLS AREA 4-H NEWS
August 2021 Newsletter
STAY INFORMED ABOUT 4-H AND EXTENSION NEWS!
Please be sure to like us on FB!
Don't forget to visit our Extension website at:
PLEASE SHARE WITH US YOUR NEWS so it can be included in our newsletters! Forward any 4-H news, events, or activities with Marcy at email@example.com
2021 Fair Book
The online entry system is now open for the 2021 Nebraska State Fair!
- Youth planning on exhibiting 4-H live animals or participating in any 4-H contests must complete the online entry process before 8:00 PM CT on August 10th. No late entries are accepted. Get started at statefair.org/competitions-participate/competitions/4-h-ffa-exhibitors.
State Fair Pick Up Day
Shaniya Albertus will be picking up items to take to the Nebraska State Fair on the following days:
Blaine County will be August 23 at Sandhills High School in Dunning at 10:00 AM CT
Grant County will be August 23 at Hyannis High School at 4:00 PM MT,
Hooker County will be August 24 at the Extension Office in Mullen at 9:00 AM MT,
Thomas County will be August 24 at the Extension Office in Thedford at 10:00 AM CT. If we do not receive items at these times, they will not be displayed at the State Fair.
4-H static exhibitor families will be able to order discount passes directly from the Nebraska State Fair! Contact the Extension office at 308-645-2267 for more information.
Video Companion Animal Showmanship Contest
State Fair 4-H Volunteer
- Nebraska 4-H is looking for volunteers to help on the days leading up to and during the Nebraska State Fair. A variety of volunteer roles and times are available. Individuals will receive a fair pass for each day they volunteer. To learn more or to sign up as a State Fair 4-H volunteer, visit 4h.unl.edu/state-fair-volunteer.
2021 4-H Project Showcase
We know life can present unique challenges for youth, but we also know 4-H members have the perseverance to overcome whatever life may throw their way. We are so proud of the work 4-H members put into their projects despite any number of challenging circumstances. We want to honor the work our youth have done by providing a platform to highlight their exceptional projects and the valuable learning opportunities they have experienced. This showcase allows all enrolled youth, ages 8-18, to showcase a project they have learned a lot from this year or that they are particularly proud of. All projects are eligible regardless of the award they received through judging or the ability to have that project judged at the county level. So, pick out your favorite 4-H project, and let us know why it's your favorite and what you learned in 4-H this year to be showcased at the Nebraska State Fair.
We'll need a few details:
- 4-H age
- Project area
- 1 photo of the project
- Description of your project
- Why did you choose to highlight this project?
- What did you learn from completing your 4-H project(s) this year?
- What challenges did you encounter while working on your 4-H project(s)?
Projects submitted prior to August 10 will be showcased at the 2021 Nebraska State Fair. Projects may still be submitted after August 10th for a chance to be showcased by Nebraska 4-H on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Rules & Guidelines
- Any enrolled 4-H members may submit a project.
- Any 4-H project is eligible. This includes county-only projects, projects selected for State Fair, projects that were not able to be exhibited at the county fair, etc.
- By submitting an entry to this showcase, the 4-H member grants permission to Nebraska 4-H the use and rights associated with the use of the photograph and quotes, in promotional publication, online, and other media, without compensation.
- The 4-H member who created the project will be credited whenever and wherever the photo is shared, published, or reproduced in print or digital media.
- Submissions must include one photo. The photo should show the entire exhibit. We recommend taking several photos from different angles and perspectives and selecting the best one. Be sure to take photos from an adequate distance so the entire exhibit is visible. For best results:
- Use natural light, but avoid direct sunlight. Do not use flash. Try photographing on an overcast day.
- Avoid cluttered backgrounds.
- Do not apply filters, text, or any other digital manipulation that inaccurately represents the exhibit.
- Avoid using the zoom feature on the camera whenever possible. Get physically closer instead. Avoid cropping the photo before submitting it.
- The preferred photo orientation is horizontal.
- Photos must be of sufficient resolution and size for digital sharing. Images should have a minimum resolution of 72 ppi (pixels per inch), but higher is preferred. Images should also be a minimum of 700 pixels on the shortest side (height or width), but larger is preferred. Unless absolutely necessary, it is recommended to avoid cropping or resizing images prior to submission. Generally speaking, images taken by modern digital cameras will be sufficient for submission without resizing or cropping.
Shooting Sports Leadership Certification Workshop
A Nebraska 4-H Shooting Sports Leader Certification Workshop is scheduled for early August in Wayne. It will be held August 7-8 at the Wayne County Fairgrounds in Wayne. The early bird deadline to register for the training is July 28th.
Volunteers will have the opportunity to become certified as an adult (21 years and older) or apprentice (14-20 years old) leader. Six project areas will be offered at the Workshop - rifle, pistol, shotgun, muzzleloader, hunting skills, and archery.
There is a minimum number of participants needed to offer these disciplines at the workshop. Workshop participants will learn under expert instruction from members of the Nebraska State 4-H Shooting Sports Training Team.
The registration fee is $110.00 per person for initial certification and those individuals adding an additional discipline except for Apprentice Instructors. The registration fee for Apprentice Instructors is $90 for the workshop by the early deadline. This fee includes meals, supplies and program materials. The registration fee after July 28th is $160 for individuals. Participants must make their own lodging arrangements. Registration on Saturday runs from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
Please share this information with volunteers in your county. For more workshop information and registration link, go to the 4-H Shooting Sports web page. Or contact your local Nebraska Extension Office or Steve Pritchard at (402)395-2158 or (308)536-2691. Registration is available only online at the link provided in the brochure or they can register directly by going to https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScH284sYUUKbb2BNzNGmZvD_b2rnzQlYWt0i4ltHMcyfIVn7Q/viewform.
Source: Steve Pritchard
More details at: https://4h.unl.edu/shooting-sports/instructor
Shooting Sports Leadership Update Certification Workshop
A Nebraska 4-H Shooting Sports Leader Update Session is scheduled for early August in Wayne. It will be held August 6th, 6:30 to 9:30 pm, at the Wayne County Fairgrounds in Wayne. The early bird deadline to register for the Update session is July 28th.
The time has come to provide an update for all Nebraska 4-H Shooting Sports Instructors who received their training in 2013 or before. Over the years there have been numerous curriculum changes, updates and additions, with some major curriculum adjustments in the last few years.
These Update Sessions are for adult or apprentice 4-H volunteer instructors who have previously attended a 4-H instructor training workshop in 2013 or prior years. These are an update for existing instructors, NOT a training for new instructors. You MUST be a currently enrolled Nebraska 4-H Shooting Sports volunteer leader in your county.
Discipline updates that will be offered during the evening include rifle, hunting skills, shotgun, muzzleloading, and archery. Instructors can only choose one of the offered disciplines.
There is a minimum number of participants needed to offer these disciplines at the session. Participants will learn under expert instruction from members of the Nebraska State 4-H Shooting Sports Training Team.
A paid registration fee by July 28th guarantees participant a spot at the session providing that discipline session is not full. Early bird registration by July 28th is $25 for the session. Late registration fee, after July 28th, is $40. Fee includes program materials for the Update session. It does not include lodging or meal.
Please share this information with volunteers in your county. More Update Sessions will be scheduled for this year. For more workshop information and registration link, go to the 4-H Shooting Sports web page. Or contact your local Nebraska Extension Office or Steve Pritchard at (402)395-2158 or (308)536-2691. Registration is available only online at the link provided in the brochure or they can register directly by going to https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf9lCaNbNYbVyHm5DiJX9Ri4LU7y8rqCgB4Ly_u1-oa56GxKg/viewform.
Source: Steve Pritchard
More details at: https://4h.unl.edu/shooting-sports/instructor