Week of May 24, 2021
Hello Westside Parents & Families! Congratulations to our 3rd-6th graders for completing their state assessments in ELA, Math and Science! We are so proud of their hard work throughout the year and continued dedication on these assessments. Thank you for supporting your child and getting them here and on time.
This is the last FULL week of the school year with Early Release on Friday, and the last three days of school (June 1-3). Students will be dismissed at 1:15p on these days.
We are excited to host a Staff vs. Sixth Grade Kickball Game this coming Friday! The entire school is invited to watch, so be sure to dress your child accordingly in comfortable, cool clothing, and even a hat/sunglasses. Sixth Graders should wear their class t-shirt and sneakers to play. We will be posting photos on our Facebook page after!
The School Board has voted to continue masks through the last day of school (June 3rd), and then it will become voluntary for summer school and next year. Please continue to send your child prepared for the remaining school days. See full press release below.
Reminder there is NO SCHOOL next Monday, 5/31, in honor of Memorial Day. School will resume on Tuesday, 6/1. Enjoy the long, upcoming weekend with your family!
~Mrs. Stephanie Woodbury, Principal
2020-2021 Commemorative Yearbooks Have Arrived!
- Send cash or check (made payable to Westside Elementary) for $26.25
- Drop envelope in front office or child care mailbox.
MyPaymentsPlus Cafeteria Payment Platform Reminders
- For your convenience, your child's account balance on the last day of school will roll forward to the 2021-2022 school year automatically. No need to do anything, even if your child is changing schools.
- Balances in your child's general account can be used to purchase a la carte items through the last day of school.
- If your child is graduating or moving to a non-Brevard Public School, you may transfer your child's balance to another student, transfer the balance to the hardship fund to assist students in need, or request a refund. Please contact Mrs. Verret, our cafe manager, by May 28th to request a transfer or refund. After May 28th, please email your request to FSHelpDesk@brevardschools.org.
- All negative cafeteria account balances must be paid off by June 3, 2021.
- MyPaymentsPlus will be turned off for Brevard Parents from June 4th-June 30th in order to perform summer updates. Please make sure to log-in prior to June 4th if you need to make any changes to your account. MPP will resume normal operation on July 1, 2021.
The School Board of Brevard County Vote to Make Masks Voluntary at the Conclusion of the 2020-2021 School Year
The School Board of Brevard County convened a special board meeting following the latest guidance issued from the CDC to discuss the mask mandate which has been in place since March of 2020. During this meeting board members voted in favor of making masks voluntary after the end of this school year. This will include any school activities after June 3, 2021. The Board detailed the timelines in which this decision will take place.
Board members will continue to follow the current recommendations of both the CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) to keep masking policies in place for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year which ends on June 3, 2021. Graduation ceremonies will also follow current masking policies as they are part of the current school year.
The district will continue with safety protocols including enhanced cleaning measures and other risk mitigation strategies. “Since March 2020 the School Board and Superintendent have followed science to ensure the safety of our students and staff. Today, the board again followed the science in making their decision. The board, Dr. Mullins and school leaders will continue to work tirelessly to keep our learning environment safe for everyone who enters our schools,” said Russell Bruhn, Chief Strategic Communications Officer for Brevard Public Schools.
Parents who would feel more comfortable with a flexible, virtual option for their children’s education are encouraged to research Brevard Virtual School. BVS offers enhanced resources and work with families to identify children’s learning needs and help customize a schedule and coursework to help each student reach their full potential. Brevard Virtual School is enrolling now through July 16, 2021.
To learn more about this option, please visit: https://www.brevardschools.org/Page/127
E-Learning Materials/Laptops Return Schedule
Wednesday, June 2nd- Sixth Grade ONLY
Thursday, June 3rd- Kindergarten-5th Grade
Friday, June 4th- Open to All Returns
Summer Access to Learning Technology
- i-Ready access will be available until July 15th. Students can work on Reading and Math independently. Recommended 30-45 minutes/week for each subject.
- Lexia Core 5 will be available until July 30th for all K-5 students. Lexia offers online ebooks and lessons on reading skills. Lexia Power Up will also be available for all 6th grade students. Recommended up to an hour/week.
- Sora access is available all summer. This is a large collection of online books that students can read or listen to for pleasure. Listening to audio books that are above your child's reading level is a great way to build vocabulary and exposure to complex text! Students can earn a special treat for all the books they've read on Sora throughout the summer. They will be receiving a tracking postcard from their teacher soon!
These resources are a great way to encourage learning and keep skills sharp over the summer!