August 2020 Counseling Newsletter
CHS Counseling Department
Congratulations to our seniors! The Class of 2021!
We wish you all an awesome year of success! Please remember to check our Counselor Schoology for counseling information.
We are here to help and support you!
Here's to a wonderful school year!
CHS Counseling Department
Counseling News and Updates
- Ryan Schuyler, Dual Enrollment Coordinator
- Debbie Huntsinger, Scholarship Program, Senior Awards, and the Counseling Newsletter
- Melicer Jones, Academic Awards Ceremonies, Freshman Transition, CHS Chesapeake Governor School Coordinator
- Mallory McMullin, CHS School Counseling Director, CHS Commonwealth Governor School Coordinator
- Madison Allen, CHS College Adviser *
- Lorrie Hummer, Germanna Community College Career Coach
- Ms. Minor, Counseling Secretary
- Ms. Lynne Martin, Registrar
*Note: Ms. Kayla Taylor will continue her education, and she is no longer with our CHS Counseling Department, and while we are sorry to see her go, we are happy to have Ms. Madison Allen join us as the new College Adviser.
The CHS Counseling Department Student Caseloads
Mr. Ryan Schuyler Students with Last Names A- Fa
Mrs. Debbie Huntsinger Students with Last Names Fe - Mc
Mrs. Melicer Jones Students with Last Names Me-Sp
Ms. McMullin Students with Last Names St-Z
When prioritizing, apply to local first, then state, and then national.
2. Scholarships will come to you in your school email and the monthly Counseling Newsletter sent to you in your school email.
3. The Counseling Newsletter and scholarships may be found on the counseling site.
4. Most scholarships require the four following items:
- An essay about your personal, educational, and career goals- usually 250 -500 words;
- Your transcript- unofficial or official- email your counselor for this
- Letters of recommendations usually 1-2
- A complete scholarship application
5. Apply. Apply. Apply. Scholarships is a numbers game and the more that you apply to, the more likely you are to be awarded.
6. Apply for scholarships that you are eligible for. Meet the deadline date.
7. Recognize that applying to scholarships is work! But the pay off is fewer college loans and money in your pocket for college! Email your counselor or me your questions.
National Scholarship: Horatio Alger Scholarship.
Scholarship information may be found at this link:
106 scholarships at $25,000 each. As one of the nation’s largest college financial aid programs in the country, the Horatio Alger National Scholarship Program is one of the major scholarship programs nationally that specifically assists high school students who have faced and overcome great obstacles in their young lives.
The scholarship application is available NOW and the scholarship deadline is Oct. 25th.
Army ROTC at Creighton University
Earn a 4 - year scholarship from Army ROTC at Creighton University: Tuition 100% paid Fees 100% paid Books paid ($1200 per year maximum) Room and Board 100% paid by Creighton University = zero out of pocket expense.
To explore this opportunity please contact email@example.com
ASVAB, SAT, and AP Testing Updates
Mrs. Bucerri is our CHS Testing Coordinator.
Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org
The ASVAB is postponed until Second Semester.
The SAT at CHS has been canceled for August 29th, 2020, but the next opportunity for the SAT's at CHS is October 3rd.
AP Students need to check their email for announcements for exam ordering deadlines, as well as information regarding AP Exams.
College Adviser Introduction
I am Ms. Allen, Caroline’s new College Adviser. I am so excited to meet and work with each of you! I am a recent graduate from The University of Virginia, serving as an additional resource for you and your families as you plan for your future after high school. I am available to all Caroline students, but I will be specifically meeting with juniors and seniors to discuss life after high school. I can help with SAT/ACT prep and registration, filling out college applications, editing college essays, applying for financial aid and scholarships, and so much more!
Please email me at email@example.com to set up a meeting and make sure to follow @collegeadvisingchs on Instagram to stay up to date!
Job opportunities at the Caroline Family YMCA. Hiring for wellness attendants, childcare and lifeguards. Job applications can be found athttps://family-ymca.org/about-us/job-listings/
Germanna Career Coach Announcement
Lorrie Hummer, M.Ed., GCDF
Phone: 804-633-9886 ext. 5124
Career Coach News
I know things are very uncertain right now but I want you to know that I am here to support you during this temporary new phase. Stay in contact with me! If you need help completing an application, doing a career search, resume assistance, choosing the perfect major or questions about Germanna. You can get a jump start by filling out this google career intake form for me. It lets me know where you are in your career journey.
Ever think about taking Germanna classes? Here is a video to give you a little information about Germanna and taking a class.
CHS Counseling Web Page
The CHS Counseling Web Page offers a variety of helpful information for CHS Students. You can find information at this site that will help you to access information such as:
- Requesting letters of recommendation for colleges and scholarships
- Setting up a Parchment account and requesting your transcript to be sent
- The Program of Studies
- The Counseling Newsletters
- Important Counseling Events and dates