InTheLoop - Feb 16, 2016
BCS Lumberton's Weekly News - Editor, D. O'Brien
- J. Kamau, Principal
- M. Castellane, Supervisor of Education
- R. McGill, Secretary
1. Parent Teacher Conferences this week. Schedule is as follows:
Wednesday, February 17th: Reduced day for students.
Thursday, February 18th: Full day for staff and students, evening conferences. between 6pm and 8pm. *TA attendance optional.
2. FRIDAY IS THE LAST DAY FOR STAFF TO PAY FOR THE BLACK HISTORY LUNCHEON.
3. REMINDER: Black History Projects are due to Miss O'Brien by February 22.
4. Gradebooks need to be updated.
5. Miss O'Brien will be NJCAN testing next week.
Boys Matter - a NYTimes Article
Black History Activities and Luncheon Overview
1. The Black History luncheon will be held on February 25.
2. Students must complete a Black History Project, and attain a score of at least 70% on said project to attend the luncheon.
3. Teachers will create Black History lesson plans so that students may complete these projects for third period on February 18th.
4. Miss O'Brien will provide a scoring rubric for said projects. Projects must be completed and turned into Miss O'Brien by February 22nd.
5. Staff attending the luncheon must buy a ticket for $7 each from Ms. Newton or Ms. Lowenthal.
Black History Luncheon Menu
Fried chicken pieces -catfish nuggets and dipping sauce -roasted potatoes-mac and cheese
black eye peas and rice-greens-corn-garden salad with assorted dressings-corn bread
assorted rolls and butter-peach cobbler-sweet potato pie-cheese cake-black forest cake
fruit-chocolate chip cookies-beverages
First Place Winner: Omyra Saldana
Second Place Winners:
Justin Ellis (and Aniyah Young, not pictured)
Third Place Winners:
Nasziere Daye, Jasmine Miller and Ann Hernandez (not pictured)
Menu for week of 2/15
Cream of shrimp
Salad – shrimp salad on a garden
Wednesday – spinach salad with fresh strawberries, pecans, red onion rings and mandarins, strawberry dressing
All beef hot dog with fries
Grilled chicken Caesar wrap with chips
Thursday – turkey blt sandwich with chips and a pickle
Friday – fish Friday –
Fried flounder filet on a Kaiser with fries, coleslaw and a pickle $5.00
CLOSED NEXT WEEK
Friendly Reminders on Incident Reporting:
* For Incident reports: In the subject line, include the student's first initial, last name, and date.
* When signing the report, please sign next to the signature box where you type your name.
*Incident reports are legal documents, and have the potential to become court documents. Please remember to do a spelling and grammar check.
*Submit incident reports by 2:30pm.
* Stick to the facts.
*Our suspension list is now on the Message Board. If a student is suspended, teachers will mark the student as absent, and the office will take care of marking it as a suspension.
*ABC Program: Students who wish to cash in their vouchers for fries in Smitty's Café will have to follow the procedure for requesting a meal (i.e. utilizing a voucher, getting approval and scheduling with Ms. Heather in advance).
Challenge and expect more
Your students need to feel like their brains hurt when leaving your class. Sort of like when you work muscles in the gym and you become sore. Make the work rigorous!
Why should the students be interested in this lesson/activity or project? Make connections that are relevant to their lives.
This is being done well @Lumberton. We know that this piece is critical to reaching the diverse and unique population of students we serve.