Please click on the above link to see highlights from this past week. We are working to create a positive learning environment that is equitable, inclusive and focused on the whole child. No need to have a twitter account to view!
Brooks News to Know
Parent 5 Essential Survey
Illinois 5Essentials Parent Survey
The 2018 Illinois Parent Survey opened on Dec. 5, 2017. The survey window will close on Jan. 31, 2018. Please click on the link below and complete the survey so that we can get feedback from our Brooks stakeholders. We currently have 4% of our families that have completed the survey.
Link for parents to take the survey: http://survey.5-essentials.org/illinois/survey/parent/
Students who achieve 3.0 grade point average or above, with no I, D or U grades, for a trimester are considered to be on the honor roll.
There are three different honor rolls:
Straight A honor roll = 4.0 GPA
A honor roll = 3.6 to 3.99 GPA
B honor roll = 3.0 to 3.59 GPA
Here is list of students that earned Grade Point Averages during Trimester One that placed them on the Honor Roll. Students will be receiving a letter and a magnet on Friday, January 12th during 9th period to recognize their accomplishment!
8th Grade Graduation Date
The class of 2018 will graduate on Thursday, May 31 at 7:30pm at Oak Park River Forest High School. This will be a regular school attendance day for our 8th graders. Additional information will be shared with parents in the upcoming months regarding this event.
Family Education Advocacy
Family Education and Advocacy series available for family members and professionals. Please share this flyer with your contacts!
To register please visit our website: https://namimetsub.org/family-programs/family-advocacy
Recognizing Staff who Make a Difference
Thank you to those who have completed this form to recognize a GBMS staff member. All individuals receive a printed certificate highlighting your appreciation for their contributions!
Please be sure your background check has been completed if you'd like to volunteer to chaperone Field Trips
Sports and Club Information
Girls Volleyball Practice:
Tuesday, 1/9 at 7:00am
Wednesday, 1/10 at 7:00am
Friday, 1/12 at 7:30 am
OPEF VEX ROBITICS
The In-House League meets Tuesdayafternoons from 1/09-3/13 at 3:30-5 pm in Design Room D202. Drop ins are welcome at first meeting or contact Ms. Tasia Pena-Rodriguez, rm. B302.
CLUB OPPORTUNITIES (can join anytime)
Each club meets weekly, unless otherwise notated below.
- ORFF Ensemble from 8:00am to 8:50am in D104 (first meeting was on 9/18). Participation is open to all students - no audition required, but enrollment is limited to 40 students. Interested students can sign-up and pick up permission slips outside of the music room (D104). For additional information contact Mr. Carrillo - email@example.com. Still opportunity to join.
- Ultimate Frisbee We will only meet on Mondays for the second trimester. Still 3:30-4:40 and meeting in the third floor gym. We plan on playing different types of frisbee activities in the third floor gym or the main gym when available. If you have any questions, please email Ms. Dajani at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Gillespie at email@example.com. (Weather Permitting)
- Math Team from 3:30-4:30 in room B204 . The club will meet each week. Students of all interest levels are welcome. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Kahn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spoken Word from 3:30pm to 5:30 pm in room B205. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Lee at email@example.com
- EcoEagles from 3:30pm to 4:30pm in room C302. If you have any questions, please email Ms. Stamp at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chess Club from 3:30 to 4:45 in room B305. If you have any questions, please email Mr. Hausfeld at email@example.com.
- Vex Robotics In-House League from 3:30 to 5 pm in room B302, 1/9/18 to 3/13/18 with Robot Rumble on 3/10/18. You can learn more by viewing flyer or OPEF VexRobotics website. or if you have any questions, please email Ms. Pena at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rainbow Tribe after school until 4:30 in 2nd floor conference room next to PE classroom. Permission slip found here. Here are the dates club will meet: January: 9, 23, February: 6, 20, March: 6, 13, April: 10,24 and May: 8, 22, 29
If you have any questions, please email Ms. Olsen at email@example.com
- Art Club meeting from 3:30pm to 4:45pm in room D301. NO need to sign up, just show up and make art. Running now through Mid February. If you have any questions, please email Ms. Murray at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spanish Club from 3:30 to 4:30pm in room B308. Here are all the Spanish club meeting dates for the year: 1/11, 1/25, 2/8, 2/22, 3/8, 3/22, 4/12, 4/26, 5/10, 5/24. If you have any questions please contact Mr. Lagioia at email@example.com or Ms. Villalobos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yearbook Club meeting from 3:30 to 4:30pm in room B202. The next meeting is on December 7th. Here are the meeting dates for remainder of the year: 1/11, 1/25, 2/8 , 2/23, 3/8, 3/22 , 4/12 If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Marsha Turner-Reid at email@example.com or Ms. Meaghan Pabellon at firstname.lastname@example.org
Guitar Club & Dance Studio are ongoing - registration forms are due to the BRAVO Office (D103). Open to ALL Brooks Students and is FREE to join! For more info visit: bravoperformingarts.org
Spring Musical Auditions: February 5-8. Check website for further details starting in January
inSPirED Workshop: February 10th. Keep an eye out for signup details!
NEEDED: Pizza lunch volunteers on Fridays from 10:55am-1:15pm. E-mail email@example.com if you are available and interested!
Get connected to PTO
PTO Call For Ideas Evaluation:
The Brooks PTO launched a survey in September to gather ideas from the community to enrich the experience of students, spend down our current fund balance and shape future fundraising. The goal of the PTO is to spend an additional $20,000. Please provide your opinion of the following 14 spending initiatives in the Brooks Call for Ideas Evaluation survey. PTO will focus efforts based on your feedback as your input is an integral part of this process. Thank you!
Earn money for the Brooks PTO: When you shop at Amazon, begin your shopping through the link here and our PTO will earn 0.5% of your total sale, at no expense to you. First time Amazon Smile shoppers will find our organization by typing Gwendolyn Brooks Middle School Parent-Teacher Organization. Thank you for your continued support.
Subscribe to PTO Bulletin:
- The link to subscribe for families is http://eepurl.com/cgOObT
Next Community meeting is Monday, January 8th, 2018 at 7pm in the media center.