Free Rapid Testing for Students
Information for Parents/Guardians
Dear Martin Mustangs,
As the school year continues, the health and safety of our students and staff remains our top priority. In an effort to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19, we are pleased to share that we will be taking part in a statewide program offering rapid tests for use in schools free of charge.
This program uses BinaxNOW tests, which provide results in 15 minutes and are administered using a nasal swab in the front area of the nostril. These tests have been shown accuracy rates of 97-98% for symptomatic individuals.
Students with COVID symptoms and students identified by AISD as having been in close contact with a COVID-positive person will be offered tests.
Testing will be voluntary and students will require parent/guardian consent in order to be tested. The tests will be administered by Alief ISD nursing staff, who have been comprehensively trained on the testing procedure.
Every In Person student will come home today with a permission slip that will need to be completed and returned if parents offer consent for testing only when a student meets the requirements above.
If your child is Virtual or was virtual on day of contact, you can still get them tested at Crump stadium in the South Ticketbooth. Please download Mr. Chamber's letter below for more information.
If your child was not present today or misplaces their permission slip, virtual copies have been attached below and can be printed, filled out, and sent back with your student.
Dr. Ting-Ling Sha
Who Can Be Tested?
- Students who develop symptoms consistent with Covid-19 while on campus will report to the nurses’ office, be assessed, and be provided the opportunity to receive a test on campus.
- Students determined to have been in close contact with a COVID-positive person, who are on campus at the time of this identification, will be provided an opportunity to receive a test on campus.
- In order to receive a test, a student must have a completed consent form on file at the school.
- Additionally, the school will attempt to contact the parent/guardian if the nurse recommends that a student be tested.
- If the parent/guardian is unreachable, the school will proceed with testing the student if a consent form is on file.
- The school nurse will call to share the results after the test has been administered.