Nuclear Power FRIEND or FOE
by Allie Goelz and Nicole Doge
Should Nuclear power be used?
Why shouldn't Nuclear power be used?
- Human errors have cause nuclear power plant melt downs and there is no way to protect from those mistakes.
- The plants are vulnerable to terrorism- what better place to bomb than a nuclear power plant that could contaminate tons of people?
- No matter how many backup systems you have worse things could happen causing a meltdown
- EXPENSIVE- 6 BILLION dollars MINIMUM to START building a nuclear power plant
- Melt downs are even more expensive to clean up than to build the machine itself^^^^^
What IS Nuclear energy?
Nuclear Power Around The World
Three Mile Island
Many famous people have opinions on Nuclear Power. Here are a few powerful quotes about it.
“Every dollar spent on nuclear is one less dollar spent on clean renewable energy and one more dollar spent on making the world a comparatively dirtier and a more dangerous place, because nuclear power and nuclear weapons go hand in hand.” - Mark Z. Jacobson
“Nuclear power plants must be prepared to withstand everything from earthquakes to tsunamis, from fires to floods to acts of terrorism.” - Ban Ki-moon
“Nuclear accidents anywhere can affect people everywhere.” - Ban Ki-moon
“The future is green energy, sustainability, renewable energy.” -Arnold
“If our nation wants to reduce global warming, air pollution and energy instability, we should invest only in the best energy options. Nuclear energy isn't one of them”. -Mark Z. Jacobson
“There is no need for nuclear. The world can be powered by wind, water and sun alone.” -Mark Z. Jacobson
Talking about Nuclear power and how there are still worse things that could happen. Just because "events are improbable does not mean they are impossible." Jim Riccio