The Judicial Branch!
by: Bridget Daggett
What do they do?
they are in charge of deciding the meaning of laws, how to apply them to real situations, and whether a law breaks the rules of the Constitution.
The justices hear cases that have made their way up through the court system.
they decide cases that may differ from the U.S. Constitution.
- they have a very important power that can affect the lives of many people(3)
The Supreme Court
Original Jurisdiction-the power to hear a case for the first time
- A school district being accused of racial discrimination(appellate jurisdiction)
- New York and New Jersey dispute the rights of navigation on the Hudson river(original jurisdiction)
- A person charged with murder, and claiming the death penalty is unconstitutional(appellate jurisdiction)
- A Russian diplomat claims certain rights under a new treaty(original jurisdiction)
To become a member...
Currently in the Supreme Court
1. "Biographies of Current Justices of the Supreme Court." Biographies of Current Justices of the Supreme Court. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Dec. 2015.
2. "The Judicial Branch." The Judicial Branch. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Dec. 2015.
3. "Congress for Kids: [Judicial Branch]: The Supreme Court Justices."Congress for Kids: [Judicial Branch]: The Supreme Court Justices. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Dec. 2015.