The Rebel Crier
September 16, 2022
In this Issue
- Open House Info
- News from the Library
- School Photo & Makeup Information
- Support Unified Theater
- French Club Quebec Trip Announcement
- Wellness Center Now Open!
- Vaccination Van returns to NF
- National Honor Society Tutoring
- Breakfast and Lunch Menus & Allergy Information
- Guitar Club Info
- Important Upcoming Dates
A Note from Mr. D'Amico
We are really rolling now! This newsletter has tons of information about upcoming events, club news, library programs, and more! Be sure to read the whole newsletter and stay informed!
In the coming days, you can also expect to hear about how we will be utilizing and enforcing the wearing of school IDs, our expectations for student and fan conduct at home games as we look forward to Friday Nigh Lights. We have a strong sense of community here at NFHS, and we all play a role in keeping our school safe, and putting our best foot forward to show anyone who comes here what REBEL pride is all about!
I hope to see you all at Open House next week!
Students in Action
News from the Library
Morning Meditation for beginners is offered on Monday and Wednesdays from 7:00-7:10. Come find out what meditation is (we’re not chanting!) and how it can help you begin your day with a clear mind and a fresh perspective.
It's raining books! We have the latest YA fiction best sellers along with interesting, current nonfiction titles for you. Stop in and see what we've got!
Need book recommendations?
Talking to each other is the BEST way to find your next book; however you can subscribe to our YouTube channel and find recommendations provided by Mrs. Haddad there.
Follow us on social media:
School Photo Updates & Retakes
- Students who had pictures taken on 8/31 have their ID's.
- Students who had their pictures taken 9/7 will be getting theirs by next week.
- Students who participated in Picture Day today(9/16) will have their new ID's by October 1st.
- Seniors who had their portrait sessions done in June, July, and August will also receive new ID's next week.
- If your senior has their appointment in September, October, or November, they should be using their junior year ID until their new ones come in.
- SENIORS were sent a list in the Class of '23 Google Classroom page if they have not scheduled their senior appointment yet. October still has a few openings and November appointments will be open soon. Here is the link for October and November appointments (seniors only): Senior Portrait Session Appointment Link
RETAKE DAY for all 9th, 10th, and 11th graders is October 13th.
Support Unified Theater!
French Club Sponsoring Trip to Quebec
The French club will be organizing a Trip to Quebec City in February 2023 during the annual “Carnaval.” The itinerary is full of exciting events, from dog sledding to learning about the traditions surrounding maple syrup production. We recognize that the price may be a barrier to participation for some families and will do our best to offer scholarships. To sign up or for more information, please email Madame Edel: email@example.com.
Wellness Center Now Open!
Vaccination Van Returns to NF
The Vaccination Van will return to New Fairfield for New Fairfield Fair Day on Saturday, September 17 from 12-5pm. They will be located in the parking lot behind Town Hall.
The Van will have the new bivalent booster, which targets the omicron virus. To receive the bivalent booster, you must be over 12 for Pfizer and over 18 for Moderna and not have had a Covid vaccination or booster within the last 2 months. The Van also carries all other Covid vaccinations and boosters for children, starting at 6 months, and adults. Appointments are not required.
National Honor Society Students Offer Free Tutoring
Your student can fill out this form to request a tutor. NHS students will reach out via email shortly afterwards to coordinate a mutual time and location.
Starting in November, the NHS students will also be offering after school tutoring on Thursdays in the high school library from 2-3pm. No need to sign up- it's first come first serve!
You can contact NHS Advisor Ms. Pintavalle at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Essay Contest- Kemper Human Rights Education Foundation: $3000, $1500, & $750 Prizes
This year The Kemper Human Rights Education Foundation (khref.org) is offering prizes of $3000, $1500, and $750 to high school students judged to have written the best answers to the question below. There are two contests and two sets of prizes: one for high school students in the U.S. and one for high school students who are citizens and residents of other countries.
Respect for human rights seems to be eroding in many countries. Do you agree? If so, provide examples and explain what you think is the major cause of the problem and how it should be addressed? If you disagree, explain the reason you disagree.
Essays are due on or before December 10, 2022 (Human Rights Day) and should:
1. be 2500 words or less in length.
2. be submitted as a Microsoft Word attachment to: email@example.com or by regular mail to: KHREF, 184 Fillow Street, Norwalk, CT 06850, USA.
3. include a cover page with the title, author’s name and grade level; name and address of the author’s high school; name of a teacher or administrator at the high school; and the following statement signed by the author and author’s parent or guardian: “I give the Kemper Human Rights Education Foundation permission to publish this essay.”
Winners will be announced, and awards presented on January 16, 2023.
Breakfast & Lunch Menus
Here's a quick link to our daily breakfast and lunch offerings
You can filter your view to see allergens that are present in each offering, so your student knows what foods to avoid. Click on the meal you want to see, and then look in the top right of your screen to filter.
The New Fairfield High School Guitar Club will begin meeting on Tuesday September 20th and continue each Tuesday thereafter.
Guitar Club is open to any and all students who are interested in playing guitar or bass. Experienced players and rookies are all welcome. The club provides lessons and instruction to inexperienced players. The club also has some extra guitars and amplifiers. If your child wishes to learn guitar, the Guitar Club is a great place to begin at no cost.
Please email Mr. Moffitt with any questions.
Open House- Thursday 9/22, 6:00pm
We hope to see you there!