Mrs. McCann's Grade One
Weekly Newsletter: WEEK 15
Upcoming Important Dates
- Monday, Dec. 19 - Caroling in the gym @ 8:30 (Come join us!), School Council Meeting @ 6:30.
- Tuesday, Dec. 20 - Winter Feast (turkey lunch) in the gym at 12:00 (caroling to follow...come join us!), Aspen Grove Christmas Concert @ 6:15.
- Wednesday, Dec. 21 - Band, Orchestra & Choir: Winter Music Special in gym @ 12:20.
- Thursday, Dec. 22 - School Spirit: "X-mas Hat Day", School Fun Day, Sledding Party in the afternoon, Last Day of School.
- Friday, Dec. 23 to Sunday, Jan. 8 - Christmas Break.
- Monday, Jan. 9 - First Day Back to School.
- 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS: This week we will be having a Cookie Day, Christmas Carol Day, and Reindeer Day. Ask your child about the fun activities we have been doing each day.
- SCHOOL TURKEY LUNCH: On Tuesday, December 20, Aspen Grove School will be partnering with Red Rock to put on a turkey lunch. this will take place at noon. Students were initially asked to bring in their own plate and utensils, please do not worry about this, I will supply what is needed. To compliment the lunch we are asking the grade ones to bring in cookies.
- SCHOOL CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION: On Tuesday, December 20, Aspen Grove will be having a Christmas Concert in the school gym. We are asking students to arrive by 6:15 for a 6:30 start in the gym. Please drop you child off in their classroom with their teacher. Each grade will be singing one or two Christmas songs. I look forward to hearing some wonderful Christmas music.
- SLEDDING PARTY: Next Thursday, the grade one’s want to take advantage of this mild winter weather and have a fun in the snow afternoon! We ask students to bring in a sled if they are able and we will be spending some time with them outdoors. Please ensure your child’s name is written on the sled. For Thursday only, sleds will be allowed to be brought down to the classroom for storage until we go outside. Also we ask that your child brings a flat sled only, no wooden toboggans, tubes or GT’s. As is the rule at Aspen Grove any day, sleds are only allowed to be used if proper clothing is worn. This especially includes boots and ski pants. Please send your child properly dressed for our snow fun! Students who ride the bus are unable to bring sleds on their bus ride. If other arrangements to get a sled to school cannot be arranged we do have a few extra sleds at the school that can be used and shared. The forecast for Thursday is calling for -1 with a bit of sun….perfect for sledding and enjoying some time outside! We will be walking a few blocks south of the school to a sledding area near the golf course. Since this will take us off school property, a permission slip will need to be filled out and returned. This note along with a permission form went home this past Friday. Students who do not return permission slips or wear proper winter clothing will be unable to accompany us on this outing and will instead need to stay behind at the school. Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to join us. Parent volunteers welcomed!!!
- SOUP LABELS: Please bring in your Campbell soup labels, Goldfish cracker labels, Prego labels and V8 labels for drop off at the office. These labels are collected and used to purchase gym equipment for out school!
Here are a few things that have been "happening" in the classroom. These are great discussion starters with your child.
1) Talk about the new characters we were introduced to for the following letter: Yy (Yakety Yak) and the letter combination: ng (Ping Pong). What is their favourite sound? Have your child show your the gesture and them come up with some words that have these sounds. Ask them how many sounds Y can make?
2) Ask your child to tell you what this week's sight words are (yours, very). Get them to use them in a sentence.
3) Ask your child to count by 5's to 50.