WINTER PARK BAND Weekly Newsletter
November 10, 2019
THIS WEEK'S CALENDAR
NIGHT OF JAZZ
Wednesday, Nov. 13th, 7pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
From Mr. Clemente
Dear Winter Park Band families,
Bravo to the Wind Symphony, SOTW, and Color Guard for their performances on Wednesday at our annual Fall Festival of Bands! I have received many wonderful comments and complimentary feedback from the students and directors at Audubon, Glenridge, and Maitland. Any opportunity we have to get together with the middle school band programs is always a great chance to showcase the different aspects of the Winter Park Band, and it is especially a great opportunity to begin to welcome in the students and parents of the class of 2024!
We had such a great audience for Wednesday evening's Fall Festival of Bands, so I hope everyone joins us again this week for our annual Night of Jazz! This performance features performances from the Glenridge Middle School Jazz Band, the Maitland Middle School Jazz Bands, and all three of the Winter Park Jazz Bands. See you on Wednesday at 7:00 PM!
As we continue into the 2nd marking period of the school year, it's time to begin finalizing selections for the annual Solo and Ensemble MPA. As a reminder from our Band Handbook, Solo and Ensemble is a part of our 2nd - 3rd quarter project for all students in the Winter Park Band. This project allows our students to have a performance opportunity where they are able to showcase their individual musicianship and take what they are learning in their Band classes and apply it toward a piece of music of their own choosing. It is my firm belief that preparing a piece for performance either individually or in a small group is one of the most effective ways for our students to add to their musicianship. As the saying goes, a rising tide raises all boats, and when all students work to improve their individual musicianship, the Band program benefits as a whole.
Band students have two performance options to complete the Solo and Ensemble project:
- Option 1: Solo and Ensemble MPA. Solo and Ensemble MPA takes place each year at the beginning of February and is hosted by a school in our district, this year University HS on February 7 and 8. This event is put on by the Florida Bandmasters Association(FBA), and allows students to perform for an adjudicator for a rating. Adjudicators for this event are professors, teachers, and performers from across the state of Florida, and students have the opportunity to receive feedback on their performance from someone who is an expert on their instrument. Students perform either a solo or chamber ensemble piece from the FBA Solo and Ensemble Required Music List, and may perform in up to 4 different events. There is a small assessment fee per event, typically $5.00 - 7.00.
- Option 2: Solo and Ensemble Recital Option. For students who choose not to perform at the Solo and Ensemble MPA put on by FBA, those students will perform as part of our Solo and Ensemble Recital at school. This year, that recital will take place in the Band Room on Wednesday, February 5, beginning at 1:30 PM. Students must select a piece from the FBA Solo and Ensemble Required Music List, and the performances will be adjudicated by both Mr. Smith and Mr. Clemente.
The next step is choosing which option you prefer and what you will perform for that option. Start looking at solo literature, consult your private lesson teacher, and/or get your chamber ensemble together and committed to performing as a group. Once you are prepared to register for either Solo and Ensemble MPA or the Solo and Ensemble Recital Option, follow the links below.
Winter Park Solo and Ensemble Library(as of 11.10.19): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zV3bJysUa84SP7HF3oQITQzImzatUw8y
Solo and Ensemble Music Purchase Request: https://forms.gle/GHveUm8cLeEUq8xH6
- Due no later than 12/4/19
Solo and Ensemble MPA Registration: https://forms.gle/MVBbHGBA9SFCkv3YA
- Due no later than 12/4/19
Solo and Ensemble Recital Option sign-up: https://forms.gle/yczo7RX7jRDZaMPo7
- Due no later than 12/4/19
Let's have a great week!
BAND BOOSTER PRESIDENT MESSAGE
Our next chaperone opportunities are for the Christmas Parades in December. To volunteer, you can access Charms by going to charmsoffice.com and logging in with winterparkhsband in the parent section. Please sign-up now if you are able to help!
Hoodie/polo orders should be ready within a couple of weeks (some orders were inaccurate and needed to be corrected)-please contact Jay McPherson with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you again for supporting our band program and the students!
Have a great week everyone.
ALL-COUNTY BAND & JAZZ AUDITIONS
All-County Band Audition Schedule: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MsjY_gach6Y3ixcMsX5qY_hLmoO3kJ_Y/view?usp=sharing
All-County Jazz Audition Schedule: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12_yLBdYz9t84IkBRr6Q0Y3741xLd8wR_/view?usp=sharing
November 13: Night of Jazz (All Jazz Ensembles performing)
November 18: All-County Band & Jazz Auditions, Apopka HS
November 25 - 29: Thanksgiving Break
Payments Past Due:
10/2 Fair Share Payment #3 - $50 (All Students) PAST DUE
10/2 School Instrument Semester 1 Maintenance (Some Students) PAST DUE
11/6 Color Guard Fair Share 4 - PAST DUE
Viewing your Student's Financial Account in Charms:
There is a direct link to Charms in "Quick Links" on the band website.
- Our school code is winterparkhsband
- The Student Area Password would be a unique password that either the student or parent have set up. (If you don't know the password it can be reset by one of the band directors).
- Once you have logged into the Student Area, click on the round, red $ symbol on the top menu bar to view your student's account
- If your student has earned Band Account Credit (in the Miscellaneous Ledger) this credit can be transferred to pay for many band fees: Fair Share, School Instrument Maintenance, Registration Fees for All-State, All-County and Solo Ensemble.
Requesting a Credit Transfer to pay for Fixed Payments Due:
- Click on the "Transfer Request" tab just below the round, red $ symbol. Select the fixed payment you would like to pay for using the credit. The request is sent to the band directors and the band booster treasurer.
- SENIORS: Please check your credit balance and use it accordingly during the year. Credit for Seniors left at the end of the year can only be transferred to siblings.
FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS PAYMENT SCHEDULE