November 12, 2023
REMINDER! Thanksgiving Break - November 20 - 24
The next Eagle Updates will come out on November 26th.
In This Issue:
- From Mrs. Barry
- Kids Heart Challenge
- Counselor's Corner
- MWE Calendar of Events
- MWE Master Schedule
- MWE One-Pager
- All Things PTA
- Stratford Merchandise
From Mrs. Barry
Thanksgiving week is only a week away! Throughout this week, we've heard a lot about SBISD's budget crisis, the news has discussed the high cost of groceries, and tensions continue overseas. However, there is so much for which to be grateful.
I, for one, am amazingly grateful for this Meadow Wood community. I am thankful for:
- Our Leadership Team - who work day in and day out to support our teachers and students. They continually look for ways to improve instruction and support our teachers and students. They try to take the load off of others, so others can focus on what's important - the education of our Eagles.
- Our Teachers - who also work tirelessly, not only providing the best possible instruction, but going the extra mile to serve our Eagles. Whether it's late nights of planning and grading, or teamwork developing great activities and projects, or answering emails long after work hours, our teachers go above and beyond to support our kids. We truly have the best teaching team anywhere!
- Our Support Staff - who are the backbone of our school. There isn't a job too big or too small for this incredible group. They are always willing to do whatever it takes to help MWE and our Eagles. They do all the things that need to be done to keep our school running smoothly - and they do it all with a smile on their faces. We couldn't survive without them!
- Our Students - who are why we are here. Our students are funny, smart, kind, and clever. They keep us on our toes, and keep us smiling. They are our future, and that future is bright.
- Our Parents - who continually provide terrific support. Whether it's volunteering or purchasing something from a wish list or finding solutions to a problem, the dedication you all have to MWE is unique and fantastic. I know that whatever comes our way, you all will be there to walk side by side with us, continuing Meadow Wood's legacy of greatness.
I am very thankful that I am here at MWE. This is more than a school, it's a family, and I have the best family of them all! Wishing all of you a blessed Thanksgiving!
We are better together.
Kids Heart Challenge
We are doing a great job with our kids heart challenge but time is running out to sign up and help us reach our goals. We will wrap up our challenge on 11/17.
- Online donations: We have raised over $16,000 towards our $20,000 goal!
- Students Registered: We have 174 students that have signed up, our goal is at least 320!
- If we reach that goal Kids Heart Challenge will gift MWE with $500 in funds for equipment for our students!
- Finn’s Mission: After signing up we have had 18 students who have completed Finn’s Mission, our goal is at least 25!
- Every student who completes Finn’s Mission is entered into a drawing with schools in our region for a pair 2025 Super Bowl Tickets!
- Also, for every 18 students who complete Finn’s Mission, MWE is entered into a $10,000 gym makeover!
- Through Finn’s Mission, over 40 families have gone through and learned Hands-Only CPR!
- Finally, any student who raises at least $200 gets to slime Coach Harvey or Coach Oldham!
- Get active with your family this weekend, try the Heart Healthy Bingo Challenge! CLICK HERE
If you aren’t already registered, please register today and check out all the fun CLICK HERE!
Gen TX College and Career Week: November 13-17, 2023
Celebrate SBISD’s T-2-4 Goal
College and Career Week
November 13-17, 2023
Generation TX week (GenTX Week) focuses on exposing our students to T-2-4 related programs, events, and presentations. November is the month assigned for this statewide initiative, and SBISD has chosen the week of November 13-17 to concentrate its activities.
At Meadow Wood we are promoting the importance of students pursuing and attaining a technical, 2-year, 4-year or military credential after graduation.
Various activities emphasizing post-secondary education will be highlighted during the week. Teachers will be discussing their college experiences, information about their own universities, and sharing their diplomas with their students. College logos and/or mascots for the teacher’s alma mater will be displayed in the classrooms. Time will be spent during Community Circles discussing the meaning and importance of T-2-4 with students.
We are asking all students and staff to wear any T-2-4 t-shirt on
Friday, November 17, 2023 to help highlight this week.
Family Involvement Opportunities:
- Encourage your child to wear a college/community college t-shirt on Friday, November 17th . Other options are shirts representing a career such as police officers, firefighters, EMS workers, chefs, mechanics, hairstylists etc. Students may also wear shirts honoring the military.
- You may have attended and/or graduated from a college or university, a junior college, a trade/technical school or a specialized school such as the Culinary Institute. Please take time to share your experiences with your child as you instill the importance of higher education and encourage him/her to set goals for the future.
- Talk to your child about his/her interests and talents. Discuss how these lead to satisfying careers. Spend time looking at college and career websites with your child. Help your child locate different universities on a US map. You can even apply math skills by finding how far the university is from your home.
Please join us in emphasizing the importance of post-high school education.
Thank you for supporting the various MWE activities as we celebrate
SBISD’s T-2-4 Goal!
MWE Calendar of Events
Reminder: Every week we have T-2-4 Tuesday - students are encouraged to wear their favorite college or military shirt. Fridays are MWE Spirit Day! Wear your Eagle attire!
Wear T-2-4 shirt!
Hands on Science - 1st grade
H2O Lab - 5th grade
Hands on Science - 3rd grade
1st grade Field Trip
5th grade to Camp Allen
2nd grade field trip to Oil Ranch
Hands on Science - 2nd grade
Hands on Science - Kinder
Toddler Story Time
Hands on Science - 5th
Science PSA (3rd-5th)
5th to 6th transition visit
Reading PSA (3rd-5th)
Math PSA (3rd-5th)
Hands on Science - 1st grade
Kinder Grinch Day
1st grade Snow Day
2nd grade Polar Express Day
No lunch visitors, please!
4th grade Nutcracker Performance - 7 p.m. - Spring Forest Middle School
EARLY RELEASE - Students are dismissed at 12:00 Noon!
No lunch visitors, please!
Family Point closed!
December 21 - January 8
Students return to school!
MWE Master Schedule
ALL THINGS PTA
- Fall Auction (Online Only) is open until November 15th – Adult and Kid Parties are still available for purchase - HERE!
- Interactive Day – Wednesday, November 8th during school hours – Fly Dance Company
- School Bell Award – Nominate your fav MWE staff member – Form HERE!
- Watch D.O.G.S. sign-ups are open – sign up HERE!
- Hands on Science sign-ups are open – sign up HERE!
- Purchase your ’23 - ’24 Yearbook HERE.
- Calendar is updated. Check it out HERE.
- PTA Chair positions are still available – if you are interested in becoming more involved, please reach out to email@example.com