Heart Healthy Recipes
Go Red for Women 2014
Green Chile Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
24 medium buttom mushrooms, stems discarded
1 4-ounce can green chiles, drained
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Place the mushrooms stem side down on the foil. Lightly spray the mushrooms with cooking spray.
3. Bake for 10 minutes.
Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack. Turn the mushrooms over. Fill each with chiles and a sprinling of cheese.
4. Bake for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and let stand for 3 minutes for the flavors to blend.
Calories 35, Total fat 1.5 g, Sodium 96 mg, Carbohydrates 2 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 4 g
Rustic Italian Tomato Soup
16 oz frozen bell pepper strips 1 T balsamic vinegar
14.5 oz diced tomatoes,no salt added 1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 3/4 C fat free, low sodium chicken broth 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 15 oz can navy beans, rinsed & drained 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 T chopped fresh basil 1 T extra virgin olive oil
2 T chopped fresh parsley 1/2 tsp salt
1. In a food processor or blender, process the bell pepper strips, tomatoes with liquid, broth, beans, basil, parsley, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes until slightly chunky.
2. Pour into a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the flavors have blended.
4. Remove from heat and stir in olive oil and salt.
Makes 4 1 cup servings
Calories 136, Total fat 3.5 g, Sodium 215 mg, Carbohydrates 22 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 5 g