Green & Growing
Franklin County 4-H News - May 13, 2020
Your Opinion Matters
Franklin County 4-H and the Fair Boards are in the process of planning the details for this summer's 4-H project evaluations and fair activities. The purpose of this survey is to gather information about how 4-H families feel about the different options that are being explored.
PLEASE NOTE: No decision about the fair or 4-H project evaluations has been made. Ultimately, we will follow the guidelines put forth by state and local authorities as well as guidance from many entities. At the present time, it is too early to know the circumstances that will be present in July. The responses collected from this survey will be used to inform the contingency plans that the 4-H professionals and Fair Board members are preparing for many possibilities. ALL RESPONSES ARE ANONYMOUS
Take the survey by Monday, May 18.
Project Changes or Additions
2020 Franklin County 4-H Project Change Request Form
Please contact Rachel at email@example.com if you have any questions!
VIRTUAL OFFICE HOURS
Just because Beth and Rachel are working from home doesn't mean you can't come hang out with us! Do you have questions about 4-H or need some help figuring out your club meeting options? We're here for you! Pop in anytime during our virtual office hours to chat about 4-H.
TUESDAYS - 2:00pm -4:00pm
THURSDAYS - 10:00am - 12:00 noon
Click this link to join virtual office hours:
Project Book Information
Option 1: Members can explore some free project book options here: https://ohio4h.org/booksresources
Option 2: You can order your books and have them shipped directly to you from Extension Publications: https://extensionpubs.osu.edu/. Two coupons have been made available for this year. Use code: FREE2020 for free shipping or 20IN2020 for 20% off your entire order. You can only use one coupon per order.
Ohio State Fair Junior Horse Show PAS FORMS DUE MAY 15
- In order to be eligible to make an Ohio State Fair Junior Horse entry, 4-H members must:
a. be a 4-H member in good standing with current enrollment in a 4-H horse project
b. have submitted a Horse I.D. form to Franklin County 4-H (for the state fair horse) by May 1
- Complete the new Franklin County ONLINE PAS ENROLLMENT FORM by May 15.
- Either upload negative Coggins test results into the Online PAS Enrollment form or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30.
- Make an online entry on the Ohio State Fair website when entries open on June 1.
2020 Ohio 4-H Conference Sessions Now Available
CLUB ADVISOR RESOURCES
You can find resources to help lead your club here: https://ohio4h.org/volunteers/volunteers/club-leaders
There are two new resources for virtual club meetings: Virtual Meeting Agenda and Meeting Considerations and Recreation Resources that work virtually.
Send Us Your Video Demonstrations!
Franklin County 4-H Schedule Changes
This information is subject to change based on updates the 4-H program is receiving daily.
- Club Meetings - All 4-H events and club meetings must be held virtually until July 6, this includes club picnics, fundraisers and local 4th of July parades.
- Dog Clinic, May 13 - VIRTUAL
- Franklin County 4-H Council Meeting, May 20 - VIRTUAL
- Livestock Quality Assurance, May 26 - VIRTUAL
- Horse Committee Meeting, June 1 - VIRTUAL
- PAS Horse Show, June 6 - No Show: Complete PAS Enrollment Form Instead - Due 5/15
- Franklin County 4-H Council Meeting, June 10 - VIRTUAL
- Livestock Quality Assurance, June 15 - VIRTUAL
- Franklin County 4-H Camp, June 17-21- Going Virtual for 2020 - More info coming soon.
- Franklin County 4-H Dog Show- June 26-27 - POSTPONED - Date TBD
- PAS Horse Show, June 26 - No Show: Complete PAS Enrollment Form Instead - Due 5/15
- Horse Pre-Fair Grading, June 27 - Other Options Coming Soon
- Horse Committee Meeting , July 6 - VIRTUAL
4-H ADVISOR TRAINING REQUIREMENT
4-H Project Requirement Guide
This year's 4-H Cloverbot Challenge will be virtual and individual Cloverbuds are encouraged to participate instead of working in groups/clubs.
Here's how it will work:
- All Cloverbuds are welcome to participate.
- No registration is required.
- The theme remains the same: On the Move. Read the Challenge details at the link below for more information. No poster is required.
- Create your model out of interlocking bricks (e.g., Mega Bloks, LEGOs) and take a photo.
- Send your photo to email@example.com with your NAME, COUNTY and one sentence describing your model. Only the Cloverbud's first name will be displayed.
- Photos will be uploaded weekly to an online gallery on ohio4h.org.
- Cloverbuds will receive a certificate of participation via email.
- Deadline is June 13.
More Information: https://ohio4h.org/families/cloverbuds/cloverbot-challenge
Deadline for submissions: June 13, 2020
Livestock Possession Deadline Changes
All 4-H members taking livestock projects to the Franklin County Fair should download the LIVESTOCK REQUIRMENT SUMMARY which has information regarding deadlines for possession and other requirements.
NEW DATE CHANGES!
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some livestock possession deadlines are being extended to May 15. The date extension applies to the following species:
- Beef Feeder Calves - Possession Deadline Now 5/15/20
- Market Goats - Possession Deadline Now 5/15/20
- Market Lambs - Possession Deadline Now 5/15/20
- Market Swine - Possession Deadline Now 5/15/20
LIVESTOCK QUALITY ASSURANCE REQUIREMENT
Taking any of these projects to the Franklin County Fair?
- Lactating Dairy Cows
- Market Rabbits
- Market Poultry
- Market Lambs
- Market Goats
- Lactating Dairy Goats
- Market Beef (including beef & dairy feeders)
- Market Swine
If you answered yes to the question above, YOU MUST participate in a livestock quality assurance session before the fair. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Virtual Quality Assurance Information
Below there are two options for you to complete the Livestock Quality Assurance requirement. Members must attend the entire quality assurance presentation in order to receive completion credit. Attendance will be taken and monitored throughout the session. This will be an interactive presentation and members will be asked to answer poll questions.
May 26, 6:30pm - REGISTER HERE
June 15, 6:30pm - REGISTER HERE
All 4-H Dog project members are encouraged to attend. Topics to be covered include:
- basics of taking care of your dog
- dog diseases
- medicine and nutrition
The clinic will be taught by Franklin County Agricultural Extension Educator, Tim McDermott, DVM.
This clinic will be held virtually.
Date: May 13, 2020
Time: 6:00 - 7:00pm
Join Zoom Meeting: https://osu.zoom.us/j/702520635
One tap mobile: +16468769923,,702520635#
Dial by your location: +1 646 876 9923
Meeting ID: 702 520 635
Join by SIP: firstname.lastname@example.org
***Dog members are also encouraged to check out this website that was put together by the K9 Wonder Dogs 4-H Club. It has great resources for agility, rally, obedience, showmanship, and more!***
ALL ANIMAL PROJECTS
Ractopamine is sometimes fed to beef cattle, swine, and turkeys to improve growth rate. Product trade names include: Paylean®, Optaflexx®, Engain®, Actogain®, and other generic derivatives. It is also sometimes used inappropriately in other species.
FOR 2020, NO ANIMALS ARE PERMITTED TO HAVE BEEN FED RACTOPAMINE. This ban includes ALL species such as beef, swine, turkeys, goats, sheep, rabbits, other poultry, and horses.
Six things you should do to make sure your animal is Ractopamine Free in 2020:
- Understand the status of any animal you purchase or raise on your own farm and comply by not feeding or exposing your animal to ractopamine.
- Work directly with your feed supplier to assure that the feed you use is free of ractopamine.
- Feeders and containers should be thoroughly cleaned with soap and water and dried prior to adding new feed. This will prevent cross-contamination if you fed ractopamine last year.
- Pens, bedding, fans, etc. should be thoroughly cleaned with soap and water as they have a risk of containing ractopamine if you have fed it in the past.
- Do a complete wash and dry of trailers and vehicles between loads of animals.
- Don’t offer ractopamine as it is not acceptable for the fair or exhibition.
Signed affidavits will be required prior to exhibiting your animal stating that you have not fed your animal ractopamine. Random testing will occur during the fair.
- If you are taking a swine project in 2020, read the resources found at this link prior to purchasing your pig.
Ohio State Fair 4-H Event Youth Assistants
Here’s a link where you can view the application https://ohio4h.org/families/just-teens. Youth who are 13-18 are eligible to apply. Applications are due May 15.
OSU Extension, Franklin
For an accessible format of this publication, visit cfaes.osu.edu/accessibility.