Hardware & Software Flyer
What is Hardware?
Hardware is tools, machinery and equipment that are durable. This means that it lasts. You can physically touch Hardware.
All of these things are hardware & also input.
- Keyboards (used to input words) if you were making a word document or searching up something, you would use the keyboard to type which words you want to appear on the screen.
- Mouse (used to select things on the screen) if you wanted to select something on the screen you would use the mouse.
- Microphones (used to pick up and project sound) you would sing into a microphone to project your voice.
- Digital cameras (used to digitally take pictures) if you wanted to take a photo you would use a camera.
- Touch screens (used to select things on screen with your fingers) on a touch screen phone it is quicker and easier to input information than with buttons.
- Trackballs (used to navigate a cursor on screen and select)
All of these things are hardware & also output.
- Monitors (used to observe or check)
- Printers (used to print off documents, pictures etc)
- Sensors (used to detect physical properties)
- Central processing units (used to control operations on a computer)
- Speakers (used to play sounds)
- Projectors (used to project rays of light)
What is Software?
Software is the programs and operating information used by a computer. For example, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Safari, Instagram and more. You can't physically touch Software. All apps are Software.
What is a program?
A program is a specific set of ordered operations for a computer to perform.
Examples of programs:
- Microsoft Word (used for creating documents)
- Internet Explorer (used for research and entertainment)
- Google Chrome (another version of the Internet Explorer)
- Safari (Internet Explorer for iOS devices)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (used for creating slideshows)
What is an Operating System?
An Operating System is a low-level software that supports a computer's basic functions, such as scheduling tasks.
Examples of Operating Systems:
What is a Storage Device?
Storage devices are pieces of computer equipment which are used to store information.
- Examples of Storage Devices:
- CDs (used to store music/sounds)
- Memory cards (used to store documents and files so that they can be transferred to another computer)
- USB sticks (same purpose as memory cards)