December 2018 - Welcome Winter
When: January 9th, 2019 at 7:00 pm
Where: South Kingstown High School Auditorium
Have your children been talking about
COURAGE, GRATITUDE, FORGIVENESS & COMPASSION IN ACTION?
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
SCARLETT LEWIS TO SPEAK ABOUT
THE JESSE LEWIS CHOOSE LOVE MOVEMENT AND
CREATING SAFER MORE PEACEFUL AND LOVING SCHOOLS
A discussion with Scarlett Lewis about the Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement and the K - 12th grade Social Emotional Learning Enrichment Program adopted by the South Kingstown School District. The program teaches educators and their students how to choose love in any circumstance. People become connected, resilient and empowered when they Choose Love.
Scarlett Lewis, founded the Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement after her 6 year-old son, “Jesse” was tragically killed in his first grade classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Over the past 6 years, she has tirelessly spread the Choose Love message around the world. She has presented the program to the students at South Kingstown High School, Curtis Corner Middle School, and Peace Dale Elementary. She will be presenting at Matunuck, Wakefield and West Kingston Elementary Schools.
Scarlett believes that this is THE solution to many of the issues we are facing today.
For more information visit: www.JesseLewisChooseLove.org
ALL ARE WELCOME
COME LEARN HOW YOU CAN BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION
The Student Buzz
Also, thank you to Mrs. Harrington's Delta IB group, who designed and painted a mural in the 500 hallway.
Academic Proficiency Center - APC
We are offering the Academic Proficiency Center (APC) again this year for students that need additional instruction. The APC is also available for students to retake a major assessment if they score below 75. Listed below are the areas APC is offered and the teachers that staff the APC rooms. Please feel free to contact the APC teacher with any questions on how the program works. Students have access to a sign up in google classroom.
- Language Arts - Mrs. Wildes, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Math -Grade 8 - Mrs. Arruda, email: email@example.com
- Math Grade 7 - Mrs. Pinkerton, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Science - Mr. Coolidge, email: email@example.com
- Spanish - Ms. Berke, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- French - Mrs. Gorman, email: email@example.com
#thecurtiscornerway Mrs. McNeiece
CCMS in Action
CCMC families donate cookies for local food banks
Student art displayed at South County Hospital
Music rings through our halls!
Students performing and practicing audience etiquette
Mr. P's Prevention Corner
Please check out the newsletter from RISAS
Updates From The Dean - Mr. Devolve
Greetings CCMS Families!
I want to bring to your attention an ongoing problem that is occurring with our students. The majority of our students have some sort of cell phone or iPod device that they use regularly. In their simplest form, these devices give parents peace of mind knowing they can get in touch with their children with a simple call or text message. However, the use of social media is becoming a significant issue for some of our students. I most often see issues that stem from the app Snapchat. Students are posting videos and saying things about one another that are alarming and quite frankly, inappropriate.
Administration and staff at CCMS recognize that we cannot fix this problem without your help. We will be holding a parent night after the new year. Please do not ignore this opportunity to come and discuss with our staff the issue we are seeing, how these apps work, and help brainstorm and develop ways we can work together to ensure our students are safe from the constant barrage of negative interactions they are having while using social media.
In the meantime, it's not a bad idea to sit down with your child and see what apps are on their phone and why. You might be surprised at some of the ones on there. Once we have a date finalized, we will be sending out more information to you.
Important Dates to Remember
December 24 - 31 Holiday Break
January 1 - HAPPY NEW YEAR
January 2 - Return from BreakJanuary 10 - PTO meeting 6:30 pm cafeteria
January 10 - Geography Bee 6:30 pm library
January 11 - Movie Night
January 17 - Talent Show
January 21 - MLK day - no school
January 24 - Gr. 8 Westerly Information session
January 29 - End of second quarter
February 8 - Student - Led conference - no school for students
At Curtis Corner Middle School it is important to us to keep our families aware of all the great things happening at our school. In an effort to do this, we utilize multiple communication methods.
- WEBSITE - The middle school website is the primary tool for all communication. Our website is updated almost daily with all school announcements. It also contains upcoming events, important dates, documents, links to teacher emails, and team information. There is also a guidance page that includes important information from our guidance department. This page is updated weekly. Teams have pages with information on team events, homework and team communications.
- GOOGLE CLASSROOM - All CCMS teachers have established an individual Google Classroom containing important information for their classes.
- SKYWARD - Parents are able to access the Skyward parent portal for updates on their child's academic progress. To access the parent portal from the CCMS webpage, click on the parent tab at the top of the page. For your username and password please contact the school secretary.
- TWITTER - Curtis Corner uses Twitter to promote the wonderful things happening in our school. Follow us at @CurtisCornerMS You may also want to follow @terryt9lynch, @kristenstring Many of our teachers have a Twitter account to highlight the great instruction and activities happening.
- NEWSLETTER - A goal this year will be to have a Principal's Newsletter distributed at least quarterly highlighting school and student achievement. If you have any suggestions that are worthy of recognition, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If possible, please include a photograph.
- SKYLERT - Our school utilizes automated phone and email messages. Please make sure you have accurate phone numbers and email addresses in Skyward in order to receive this information. To change this information in Skyward you can contact Mrs. Gleason at email@example.com or Mrs. Skokowski at firstname.lastname@example.org