June 4th - June 8th
Monday, June 4th
- Dr. Kick's June Birthday Lunch
- D39 CRC Committee Meeting, Mikaelin Education Center, 7:00-9:00pm
Wednesday, June 6th
- 4th Grade Farewell Lunch
Friday, June 8th
- 3rd/4th grade Field Day
- 10:00 – 11:10 and 12:10 – 2:10
- Tug- Of-War for all classes (K-4) is at 1:20 -- all welcome to come and watch!
Monday, June 11th
- Rain Date for 3rd/4th grade Field Day:12:10 - 3:10 pm. Tug- Of-War for all classes at 2:30.
Dr. Kick's Corner
- We are already planning for next school year! Teachers viewed, discussed and collaborated on all of the 2018 spring assessment data. Also, teachers reviewed the tentative 2018-19 class lists and participated in cross-grade level articulation conversations. Fourth grade teachers met with HMS GLAD, Aaron Dubnow, to discuss each 4th grade child's learner profile.
- Safety reminders: Access to the school's playground equipment, blacktop, gardens, etc. is prohibited during school hours. Dogs are not allowed on school grounds.
- You need to register you child for the 2018-19 school year! If you have not registered your child by August, you will not receive your child's class placement. Please register your child! http://www.wilmette39.org/for_parents/registration
LAST CALL! Attention former students of Miss Kathy Hofschield (and parents). Kathy is retiring at the end of this year. She has been teaching Kindergarten & 1st grade in D39 since 1991. Please consider writing a letter or card wishing her well with your memories of her and how she has impacted your life. Email letters to Jamie at firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop off at the Harper School front desk. Deadline is June 4th.
Thank you Harper Cafeteria Volunteers! 109 gracious parents and grandparents came out to volunteer in the cafeteria this year! Sara and Nahreen are very grateful to all of you, as are the kids when encountering a speedy lunch line, and we hope to see many of you back next year!
Limited spots still remain open in June, and if anyone didn't get a chance to come help out and still wants to, please email at email@example.com.
- Spring Cleaning! The Hoedown committee is seeking new/gently-used stuffed animals (no rips or stains, please) and goody bag-type items for our prize tent. Please place them in the donation bin in the Harper lobby.
- District 39 Educational Foundation - Are you looking for a unique end of year gift for your child's teacher? Purchase a D39 Educational Foundation Teacher Appreciation Award. For $39, your honoree will be recognized on our virtual Wall of Honor and receive a certificate with your special message of thanks. It's perfect from one family, a number of students or a homeroom. Click here to purchase. Please contact Susan Parker firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Do you have an announcement that should appear in the first Harper Happenings for the 2018-19 school year? Please be sure to submit a communication request form by Monday, August 20th at 9am.
- Attention all PTO Committee Members - Please submit all of your 2017-2018 school year expenses to the treasurer by June 30th. All expense reimbursement requests must include an expense voucher, an invoice and/or receipt, and a signature. If you don’t get your expenses in by the end of June, you will not be reimbursed until the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year.
- Are you interested in being a room parent for next school year at HMS? Please click here and sign up under your child's grade for next year. We will send out an email the night before teacher assignments are sent (mid August) and those who have signed up as "interested" will have 1st pick. Please contact Lisa Herschel at email@example.com with any questions.
- Attention 4th Grade Parents! The 4th Grade Farewell Lunch is Wednesday, June 6th during normal lunch hours and the 4th Grade Farewell Party is on Friday, June 15th from 3:00-5:00. Be part of the festivities and sign up here. For questions / concerns please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6/5 - Ms. Levinson's class visits Dave's Rock Shop
- 6/6 - 2nd Grade visits Adler Planetarium
- 6/13 - Mrs. Kolbe (Full Bloomed Lotus) visits 4th grades about transitioning to Highcrest
Kindergarten Enrichment: Attention Kindergarten Parents, your child will be going on a field trip to Dave's Rock Shop located in Evanston. Dave's Rock Shop features an extension fossil collection dating back over 3 billion years ago. Ms. Levinson's AM class will be going on June 5th.
2nd Grade Enrichment: Alder Planetarium Field Trip. On June 6th, the 2nd grade class will be going on a field trip to the Adler Planetarium in Chicago. The buses will depart Harper about 9:15am and will return at about 2:45pm. All children will need to bring a sack lunch.
Thanks for your contributions to iGNITE!
Link to Community News:
Valley Lodge in Wilmette hosts New Trier Township Food Pantry fundraiser on June 14th 11:00 am - 11:00 pm. Show the flyer or write “New Trier Township” on your receipt to donate 15% of your sale.
Japan Festival Chicago 2018 held June 2nd and 3rd. See flyer and website for more details.
Wimette Food Pantry located at Trinity United Methodist Church provides groceries and seasonal produce. Open Tuesdays 10:30-11:30 am.
Wilmette Historical Museum hosts Potawatomi “Dancing for My Tribe” Scavenger Hunt for families with children ages 13 and under June 18-August 5.
Wilmette Baseball Association Summer House League registration is open (K-8) and also Buddy Baseball Summer registration is open (co-ed league for ages 7-19 with physical/developmental disabilities).
Wilmette Junior Trevians are hosting a week long cheer camp for all 2018-2019 5th-8th grade boys & girls July 16-20.
Oakton Community College offers STEAM related summer programs to children ages 8-12.
The Center for the Gifted offers summer enrichment classes. Students need not be tested or identified as gifted, just eager to learn!
The Junior Trevians Football Organization is hosting Jr. Trevian K-3 grade Flag Football Tournament on June 2nd & 3rd. Each elementary school enters three teams of 10-12 players: K/1st, 2nd & 3rd grade teams. Also need 1-2 parent volunteers from each school. Email Melissa Mastros at email@example.com
Illinois Baseball Academy is registering boys & girls 3-6 years old. Register individually or as a group and form your own team.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org