Hieroglyphics and Cuneiform
By: Kara G.
When were Hieroglyphics and Cuneiform invented?
Hieroglyphics is the first known writing to be developed by the Sumerians. It was invented in 3,500 BC which is around 5,500 years ago. Hieroglyphics became very popular around 2,900 BC. Then hieroglyphics wasn't used as much at the year of 400 AD, which is about 3,300 years. Hieroglyphics was thought to be invented to give to the god of Thoth.
Why were Hieroglyphics and Cuneiform important?
Hieroglyphics was important because the symbols represented a sounds or many sounds. Also it was important because hieroglyphics is known to be the building block of writing.
Cuneiform was important because it was one of the first two written languages in the world. It helps many people all over the world to learn about how the culture was like when people used them 4,000 BC years ago.
Who Used Hieroglyphics and Cuneiform?
What are Similarities Between Cuneiform and Hieroglyphics?
- They both were created before Christ
- They are both writing systems
- Both written in rows and columns
- Both are written on clay
- Both used for keeping records and religious purposes
- They both lasted a long time in history
Cuneiform and Hieroglyphics Website Link
The website describes similarities between cuneiform and hieroglyphics
Differences Between Cuneiform and Hieroglyphics
- There are more symbols such as dashes
- Used by more than one language
- Used by more than one writing system
- It was formed around 3,300 BC
- More drawings than dashes
- More than one type of hieroglyphics, and is used for different reasons
- Mainly used by one type of person, the Egyptians
Hieroglyphics and Cuneiform Website Link
The website describes the differences between cuneiform and hieroglyphics.
Hieroglyphics was mainly used by the Ancient Egyptians.
Cuneiform was mainly used Sumerians.
The Rosetta Stone has three types of writing on it. The three writings are hieroglyphics, cuneiform, and Greek.
Scribes at work
Cuneiform Tablets: Ancient Writing Come to Life