LMS Weekly Reminder
Upcoming Task and Dates to Remember for this Week.
This Week - September 22-26
- September 17-23- celebrate U.S. Constitution Week
- TODAY- Sept. 22-
YA Literature Meeting-YA Awards & Award Winning Books
- Wed. Sept. 24-
M Media Specialists PLC 2:00-4:00 WSA Room 300
Topic: One Search, Edmodo Admin. Gaggle on your tablet. Moodle. Temp. Ticket System, TitleWish for 2014, BOB Forms
- Wed. Sept. 24-
HS Media Specialist PLC 4:00-6:00 WSA Room 300
Topic: One Search, Edmodo Admin. Moodle for High Schools, TitleWish for 2014, BOB Forms
- Thurs. Sept. 25-
Elem. Media Specialist PLC 2:00-4:00 Session Franklin Blvd. Board Rm
Topic: One Search, Edmodo Admin. Moodle for Elem. TitleWish for 2014, BOB Forms, Computer Logins
- Thurs. Sept. 25-
Elem. Media Specialist PLC 4:00-6:00 Session Franklin Blvd. Board Rm
Topic: One Search, Edmodo Admin. Moodle for Elem.TitleWish for 2014, BOB Forms, Computer Logins
Dates to Remember
- Mon. Sept. 29- eBook Classroom Connections Training 8:30-12:30 WSA Room 301
- Tues. Sept. 30- eBook Classroom Connections Training 12:30-4:30 WSA Room 300
- Tues. Sept. 30- Collection Development Plan Update DUE
- Wed. Oct. 1 - Elem BOB Organizational Meeting 3:30-4:30/ Wash. Room 300
- Thurs. Oct. 2-Middle School BOB Organizational Meeting 3:30-4:30/ Wash. Room 300
- Thurs. Oct. 2- HS BOB Organizational Meeting 4:30-5:30/ Wash. Room 300
- Fri. Oct. 3 Early Release Day
- Mon. Oct. 6- eBook Classroom Connections Training Option- 12:30-4:30/Wash Rm 300
- Tues. Oct. 7 - eBook Classroom Connections Training Option- 12:30-4:30/Wash Rm 300
- Oct. 9-11 NCLSMA Conference Winston Salem
- Wed. Oct. 15 Early Release day
- Fri. Oct. 17 Middle or High MTAC Committee Members due via link
- Fri. Oct. 17 Elementary MTAC Committee Members due via link
MTAC Committee Due Oct. 17th
AAMI Video from the Diversity Office
AASL Fall Forum
UNCG’s Department of Library and Information Studies is pleased and excited to have been selected as a satellite site for this year’s AASL Fall Forum.
The American Association of School Librarians (AASL), will hold its multi-day national institute, the Fall Forum, October 17-18, 2014 in St. Louis, MO. Attendees may also choose to participate at one of nine satellite locations:
- Greensboro, NC, Montgomery, AL.; Atlanta, GA.; Johnston, IA; Houston, TX; Mercedes, TX; Richardson, TX; Norfolk, VA., or Vancouver, WA.
Held during non-AASL national conference years, the Fall Forum is a more intimate event and focuses on one topic of importance to the profession. The 2014 theme is School Librarians in the Anytime Anywhere Learning Landscape.
- Registration is now open.
- Rates prior to Sept. 17 are AASL member: $289; ALA member: $339; and nonmember: $404.
- AASL members can also opt to attend with their administrator, technology/curriculum specialist, or an AASL student member at a special AASL member PLUS rate of $520.
- The PLUS member rate includes the AASL member and one of the above guests. Registration rates increase on Sept 18.
GCS Reads 20 - Make it Count
In October, GCS will announce the first GCS Reads 20 Schools of the Month. To be eligible, your students must read an average of 400 minutes per month (20 minutes a day for 20 days). Winners will receive media coverage and a banner to display at your school. Those 20 minutes count, so make sure to count them!
- Remember to calculate your schools monthly goal (400 x # of students= Monthly Goal)
- Please determine how you will kick this off in the fall and collect minutes at your school next year to make it efficient for you.
- Plan to collect minutes from the summer and submit them when students return in the fall.
- The GCS Reads 20 Flyer can be found on our Resources Page in both English and Spanish.
Thanks again for all of your hard work and effort to promote reading to your students.
Instructional Technology and Innovation Department UPDATE
Please remember to share information about Discovery Ed and the Instructional Technology department trainings with your staff. There are wonderful resources that every grade level and department should be taking advantage of.
- Click here for a full list of the UPDATED classes and more details.
Pam and Sabrina have created blogs to offer you an interface to ask questions and find out information about different forms of technology. Please check them out.
- · Instructional Technology Tips and Tools Blog: http://tinyurl.com/krobvej
- · Integrating Technology in the Classroom Blog: http://tinyurl.com/q772xdr
REMEMBER: Please share this information with your staff.
CLICK HERE to access their September newsletter.
IMPORTANT INFO about Discovery Ed
It is important to note the web address that is needed to access Discovery Education has changed it is now https://gcsnc.discoveryeducation.com and teachers and students can log in using their GCS log in credentials.
Students should use the following login format:
- Username: student ID
- Password: birthdate(mmddyyyy)
For more information please refer to the email sent yesterday from Rashad Slade. If there are login issues, please contact Pam James by email at email@example.com or by phone at 336-279-4929.
Sign Up Now!
Media Specialist Professional Development opportunities for 2014-2015
- GCS-MS: Updates, Reports & Best Practices (District Meetings) 2014-2015
- GCS-MS: Media Specialist Mentor Mentee 2014-2015
- GCS-MS: Media & Technology Monthly Training ELEMENTARY
- GCS-MS: Media & Technology Monthly Training MIDDLE SCHOOL
- GCS-MS: Media & Technology Monthly Training HIGH SCHOOL
- GCS-MS: eBook Classroom Connections
- GCS-MS: Technology, Teaching, and Learning for the 21st Century Media Specialist WorkDay
Library Media Services
Have a wonderful week!
Remember: If you would like text reminders about media services events text @mediaspe to (469)209-4439
Employee of the Month
CLICK HERE to nominate someone for Employee of the Month.