The Little Viking Newsletter
December 2018/January 2019
We would like to extend a sincere wish for you and your family to have a peaceful and joyous holiday season! For many, it is a time of year for great family fun together. Thank you to the many families who have kept other people in mind, within our community, who have a more difficult time, especially at the holidays. Thanks for the many contributions to the PTO Kid-to-Kid program!
December 21st marks the end of the second grading period and the halfway point of the school year. This time of the year always brings on a sense of urgency for staff as they plan and prepare for the many skills and concepts yet to be explored in the classroom. With only a semester remaining, each week of the school year is an important link to planning learning activities that will assist all students in reaching their full potential.
While it is only natural for students, parents, and guardians to give a lot of attention to the grades on the report card, please continue to assist us in emphasizing that this is not the single most important aspect of academic progress. First and foremost, we want our students to develop high levels of excitement, enthusiasm, and curiosity about the world around them. With this approach, students will be more likely to fully engage in the process of learning and ultimately achieve success in any type of academic setting.
We are also already looking forward to next year! Appointments are now being taken for our Kindergarten and Preschool screenings to take place February 25-28. All Tri-Valley children turning 5 before September 1, 2019, who will be entering kindergarten next fall will need to be signed up for a kindergarten screening. All Tri-Valley children who turn 3 on or before the dates of the screenings are encouraged to participate in our preschool screenings. (Children already enrolled in the ECE or Pre-K classrooms DO NOT need to be rescreened.) To schedule an appointment for your child to be screened, please call the Tri-Valley Elementary office at 378-2031.
I hope the holiday spirit is alive and well in your family and that each day you can find something to laugh about.
Sara Burnett, Principal
If you have not already done so, please "like" our Tri-Valley Facebook page! It is a great way to see what is happening throughout the district!
Kindergarten and 2nd Grade Christmas Program
We are looking forward to seeing everyone on Thursday, December 13th, at 6:30, at the Middle School gym. The Kindergarteners and 2nd grade students have been working extremely hard! There’s nothing like children singing to put you in a holiday mood, so don’t miss it!
Updates and Reminders
- Please remember when you are dropping off or picking up your child in the drive-through lane to pull up near the Tri-Valley sign instead of stopping by the sidewalk leading to the front door. This will allow cars to enter the lane rather than blocking traffic on Washington Street.
- Information regarding school closings or early dismissals due to severe weather may be obtained by checking the following: WJBC AM 1230, WBNQ FM 101.5, WEEK/ Channel 25, Our Website, and School Messenger Phone Calls and Emails
- Please make a plan for early dismissals. Make sure your child knows what to do in case of an early dismissal. It is sometimes difficult for students to respond to last minute messages.
- Please remember that we need a note if your child is doing something different at the end of the day. Sometimes children get their days confused and think they are to be picked up when they are not. If a parent is not here when the bus comes and we don’t have a note, the child will ride the bus. The more informed we are, the better!
- With the weather turning colder, please be sure to put your children’s names inside every jacket, coat, hat, and pair of mittens. Every year we donate a large number of items that were never claimed from the lost and found. If the temperature or wind chill is below 20 degrees or if there is heavy snowfall, the children will have recess in their classrooms.
Calendar Of Events
December 4: PTO Meeting at 6:30
December 6-7: Santa Shop
December 7: PE Parents Night Out
December 13: Kindergarten and 2nd grade Christmas program at 6:30 at the Middle School
December 20: Christmas parties at 1:30
December 21: End of 2nd Quarter, Early dismissal at 1:40
December 24-January 4: No School
January 7: Students return to school
January 21: No School
February 5: PTO Meeting at 6:30 in the library
February 9: Tentative date for the Father/Daughter Dance
February 11-15: Book Fair
February 14: Valentine's Day parties at 1:30
February 15: Early dismissal at 11:30, School Improvement Day
February 25-28: Little Viking School and Kindergarten Screening-Please call the office to schedule a date and time for the screening!
March 1: End of 3rd Quarter
March 2: School carnival at the MS
March 5: PTO Meeting at 6:30 in the ES library
March 4-12: State Testing for 3rd grade only (tentative dates)
March 13-14: Spring Pictures
March 25-29: Spring Break