THE FLIGHT RECORDER
Statesville Road Elementary's Weekly Staff Newsletter
Principal's Point to Ponder
This has been a whirlwind year, hasn't it? Personally, we have experienced joys, pains, deaths, births, made new friends, lost some friends, ended relationships, begun new relationships, and found things out about ourselves (and others) that we would not have imagined. Some of these experiences have shaken us, but over time, we have had to come to grips with what is in order to be able to say at the end of the day "It is well". I take the same stance when it comes to this school year and our professional lives. While a LOT of things went well this year, everything didn't go according to plan and I for one, was a bit taken aback and disappointed when we didn't make the gains in reading and math that we expected. Furthermore, some of our students continue to have major social and emotional needs and we are losing some of our school family for various reasons. But, nevertheless, in order to say "It is well" at the end of the day, we have to remind ourselves of three things: our worth, our work, and our will. As educators in this type of environment, we have to realize we are a hot commodity. If you can teach / work at SRE, you can do it anywhere. You have skills and knowledge that are rare. I know your worth. This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We implemented research based strategies. We improved the learning environment for all of our kids. We did our best to let love abide. I recognize your work. We do what we do because it is in our blood. We are driven to make a difference in the lives of kids and we will come back with new resolve to break barriers next year. I applaud your will. Yes, this has been a whirlwind year, but when we think about collective worth, our commendable work, and our unshakable will, and at the end of the day, we can say with peace....It is well.
This is it...The last Principal's Point to Ponder. I have enjoyed sharing my points to ponder with you over the last two and a half years. I hope you have enjoyed reading and contemplating these messages that have aligned with our instructional, staff, and student culture goals. Next year, I will address the principal's point to ponder to our parents through our parent newsletters. I plan to invite staff to write points for next year's weekly staff newsletters. I know many of you have a thought or two to share, so I am opening up space for you to exercise your leadership by being a contributor to the staff newsletter! More details to come.
What's Happening This Week?
- Kudos to all staff who worked stations, provided coverage, helped to set up, and/or monitored students during last week's field days! And a big kudo to Coach Davis for planning and organizing an engaging and fun-filled series of field days!
- Kudos to Grain and Abdel-Hameed for attending and participating in the PTA general body meeting last week and throughout this school year.
- Kudos to Stackhouse and Jones for hosting the morning news show this year along with our students. You two brought a special energy and liveliness to the show!
- Kudos to Willis for organizing and communicating our summer school information to parents and for facilitating a summer school parent meeting last week.
- Kudos to teachers who have committed to work for SRE Summer BELL program or for the 21st Century summer school program this summer. Your engagement in these programs is instrumental to give our kids a head start for the next school year.
- Kudos to our TAs just for all you do! Your work makes our school run smoothly.
- End of Year Checkout: Please follow the schedule for inventory check out with the facilitators during your special area time: K, 1st, 4th, and 5th grade checkout is Monday. 2nd and 3rd grade checkout is Wednesday. Specific items are listed on your inventory sheets.
- Grade Level TAs: Please cover Spanish special area class for your grade level on Monday.
Monday, June 8, 2015 (Day 5)
- 7:55 Monday Meeting
- Special Areas are on a normal schedule today
- 6pm: 5th Grade Promotion Ceremony (West Charlotte High School)
Tuesday, June 9, 2015 (Day 1)
- Awards Assemblies: K-4th during special area times
Wednesday, June 10 (Day 2)
- PTA Carnival (PreK, K, 1, and 2: 8:30-11:15. 3rd, 4th, and 5th: 11:45 - 2:30)
- No Speical Areas today
- 3:30pm: STAFF MEETING
Thursday, June 11 (Day 3)
- 8:30am: Glee Club Production of "Annie". All classes are invited to attend the performance. An all call will be made to come to the multi-purpose room.
- Special Areas on normal schedule today after "Annie"
- LAST DAY OF SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
Friday, June 12
- Optional Teacher Workday
- 9:00am: Those who signed up to work on the "Ron Clark" planning committee meet in the media center.