by: Hannah and Ashley
Wind energy is done by using a large wind turbine consisting of propellers. The turbine is connected to a generator for generating electricity. As wind passes the turbines, it moves the blades.
- Over 5,000 years ago, ancient Egyptians used wind power to sail their ships on the Nile River
- American colonists used windmills to grind wheat and corn, pump water, and cut wood.
- When power lines began to transport electricity to rural areas in the 1930s, local windmills were used less and less.
- The oil shortages of the 1970s changed ways of energy for the world, and windmills began making more appearances.
3 Reasons to Use Wind Energy:
- Offers a workable economical alternative to conventional power plants
- Wind is a clean fuel
- Wind farms produce no air or water pollution because no fuel is burned
- Secondary Energy Infobook. NEED, n.d. Web. 6 May 2015. <file:///home/chronos/
- Wind Basics. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 May 2015.