MVMPCS Monday eNews 2/1/16
Community news, updates, reminders, & events
Winter Weather Impact
Dear MVM Families,
Many thanks to Jen Leader Anderson who has reached out to city officials to advocate for further clearing of 5th St., Evergreen, and Elm. We thank Jen and her husband for helping to clear the ice and snow from our lot on Sunday.
We are hopeful the City will clear more snow, but realistic in our expectations. Roads and alleys surrounding the school are essentially single-lane.
We will extend our arrival and dismissal times MONDAY-WEDNESDAY in order to allow for everyone to get here safely.
Arrival time will be extended until 9:15.
Dismissal will begin at 3:40.
With that in mind:
- SNOW: Evergreen Alley has been cleared, but there are mounds of snow everywhere.
- CARLINE: Parking is extremely limited. Consider using carline until the snow melts.
- EXTRA HANDS: Additional help on carline is needed. Parents interested and able to help with arrival and dismissal should email Jen Leader Anderson at email@example.com.
- TURN LEFT: Please remember that MVM families may only enter from 5th and turn left onto Evergreen.
- STAY OFF: Please do not allow students or small children on the mounds of snow in our parking lot.
- SLOW DOWN: ...and be extra cautious in the parking lot as it is difficult to see who is exiting a car.
- CARPOOL: If your family can car-pool to and from school until the snow has decreased in size…please do so.
- PARKING: Staff members and volunteers may want to consider carpooling or parking in an alternative location if possible.
What's going on this week?
- Monday, Feb. 1: Governing Council Meeting, 7pm
- Tuesday, Feb. 2:
- Wednesday, Feb. 3: Talent Show Rehearsal 4-6pm, BOT Meeting @ MVM 7 pm
- Thursday, Feb. 4: Talent Show Rehearsal 4-6 pm
- Friday, Feb. 5: 2nd graders to Weis Market
- Saturday, Feb. 6: MS All County Concert
- Tuesday, Feb. 9: Report Cards Sent Home, GC Work Session
- Friday, Feb. 12: Talent Show!
- Monday, Feb. 15: No School, Presidents' Day
- Tuesday, Feb. 16: No School, Teacher Work Day
- March 7-11: MSA Science for grades 5 & 8
Middle School All County Concert on Saturday
Middle School All County Concert and Festival will be held on Saturday Feb. 6th at 7 p.m. at Thomas Johnson High School.
MVMPCS Students participating in this event are Quinn Cochran, Leila Glenn, Lauren Besch, and Matthew Strahlman. Cost is $5 for adults, $3 for students, and free for senior citizens.
Rehearsals Before the Talent Show:
Wednesday, February 3, 4-6 pm
Thursday, February 4, 4-6 pm
MVMPCS's Talent Show
Friday, Feb. 12th, 6:30pm
217 Dill Avenue
8th Graders: Reminder about High School Information Nights
Interested in learning more about the IB Program at Urbana High School?
The UHS IB Student Showcase and Auction is Feb. 25th.
This event because it is a great time for MVM middle schoolers (6th or 7th graders, or for 8th graders who have already applied) to come and learn what the IB Program is all about.
Current IB students are on hand to talk about their projects and answer questions about the program.
Read the press release below for further details.
MS Winter Garden Collection Extended
Coats (of all sizes) will also be collected and donated.
Please consider donating items for their 'garden'; items that will be placed at specific locations downtown need to be adult sizes. Very gently used items are acceptable.
Date for distribution to be announced soon.
Board of Trustees Meeting Reminder
Get whisked away by the music and spirit of the Emerald Isle in three hilarious and action-packed Irish folk tales!
This uplifting, comic musical glitters like a gem with its peaceful Celtic melodies, clever dialogue, and slapstick humor to inspire many a chuckle in the wee as well as the old!
Mark your Calendar:
Performances Thursday March 17th and Friday March 18th at 6 pm.
Tickets go on sale for the MVMPCS Spring production on February 15.
Watch for a link to the Showtix4u Box Office in the near future.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Baltimore Chesapeake Bay Outward Bound Scholarships for Students
Get Out And Lead (GOAL) is an Outward Bound scholarship program that has been developed to cultivate budding leaders through the unique challenge of a 10-day wilderness expedition.
Students learn the skills that are critical to success and often not learned in the classroom- leadership styles, communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and decision making.
The ideal GOAL applicant is a 12-14 year old who already shows natural leadership abilities. (MVM Students, for example!)
Time is running out to apply! Applications are due by February 6!