FAMILY PLACE NEWSLETTER
JANUARY 2016 - Happy New Year!!!!!
Team Health OB Hospitalists
Our first few weeks with the Team Health Hospitalists have been very successful! We are learning new things every day, and I feel confident that by the time our permanent physicians start in March, we will have it all figured out.
Here are a few reminders:
- The private physicians have been given a contract to sign if they desire, to allow Team Health to work with them (when specified by them), and cover for precipitous deliveries and emergencies. Right now, there is no way for us to know who has signed a contract and who has not, so we will follow a few basic rules.
- The Team Health physicians are all board-certified OB/GYN physicians that have worked with the hospitalist model in the past. They DO NOT have a private practice. They only work their scheduled shifts in the hospital.
- They will generally work 24 hour shifts. They are required to be in the hospital at all times during this shift. They may be sleeping, in the cafeteria/physician lounge, rounding on FP, etc, but you will be able to contact them at any time during their shift.
- They will carry a spectralink (4576) and hand this off when giving report to the oncoming hospitalist.
- The process for unassigned patients will be:
- Dr. Brooks and the medical director for Team Health are still in discussions, however, until further notice, all unassigned patients will be admitted under the TeamHealth physician that is here in-house when the patient arrives, and will be cared for by the Hospitalist.
- The TeamHealth Hospitalist will invite the FP residents to participate. The FP residents will not be allowed to input orders for the TeamHealth docs for now (they don't have any contractual relationship). The Family Practice residents CANNOT enter orders when they are being supervised by the hospitalist until we get the contractual relationship worked out.
- As nurses, we should not contact the residents directly about a new, unassigned patient. We should contact the OB Hospitalist directly (ext. 4576), and they will bring in the residents for teaching opportunities.
- Any continuity patients for the residents should be treated as PRIVATE patients, however they cannot be managed by the residents alone - they need an attending in house. In this case - Dr. Brooks must be in house. You should call her to arrange this.
- Some private, community OB's may decide that they want to sign out coverage to a hospitalist for a night or weekend. This is perfectly fine. Please just communicate with your physicians so that you know who is covering at any given time.
- It will be up to the individual physician to sign and return contracts to Team Health. When they do, the Physician can ask Team Health to cover if desired. We DO NOT ever ask Team Health about a private patient unless the private MD has indicated that they signed out to Team Health. The only exception to this is for emergencies: precip deliveries, stand by, or maternal /fetal compromise. If this is the case, call the hospitalist to cover immediately and make sure someone is notifying the private physician.
- Week of January 17, 2016. Maternal Seizures. Presenters: Edna, Arlen, Cora, Jocelyn
Language of Caring
- Module#3: Practice of Presence. January 11-29, 2016. Dates posted outside LaBrita's office for staff to sign up. Class is mandatory for ALL staff
Winter Education Fair
- February 1 – 29, 2016. Attendance is required of all staff.
APS Compliance Modules
- CM Module #49, 50, 51. Deadline for completion March 31, 2015
SWEET BEGINNINGS UPDATE
- Our exclusive breastfeeding rates for December was 18% - ( We know that you all have been working hard with helping moms with breastfeeding. We appreciate this so much! We have placed all pacifiers in the Pyxis and are working hard to decrease formula usage.
- The management team is working with the breastfeeding committee to come up with some scripting to our patients around breastfeeding. There are lots of new, exciting things coming up. We are developing some tools to help tell our patients about the benefits of breastfeeding. When we have it all set, we will share it all with you.
Some things coming in the future (don't worry too much about this right now, we will let you know when we are implementing these!!):
- Formula for medical indication only
- Pediatrician order needed for formula
- Nursing escalation plan for when formula is requested or medical need
- Flyers distributed in OB physician offices completed in early January
Thank you for all of your dedication to making breastfeeding a priority for our patients!!
WORKDAY COMING FEBRUARY 8th!!!!
2. AskHR will become HR Shared Services: Previously, ask HR comprised of a group of benefits administration experts. We have expanded this team significantly with expertise in ALL realms of HR and renamed it, HR Shared Services. HR Shared Services will be your new single point of contact for all HR support. Below are a few of the general topics HR Shared Services can assist employees with:
- How to find information or transact in Workday
- Compensation, benefits and enrollment, paid time off
- Leave management, disability
- How to update or change your personal information
- Workplace concerns/employee relations
- HR policies, procedures and practice
4. Hours are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
5. You can submit questions after hours via email on the all HR portion of In Site
6. Phone number for employees remains the same: 713.456.MHHR (6447)
- 3 so far, one more and we don’t meet our goal for the year
- Please ask your patients is their legs feel normal. Our two that had falls had some decreased sensation in one leg. Don’t let them get up alone! Ask them to call before getting up, until the sensation is normal.
- For December we ended at at 11%. We are at 28% overall for the last year…our goal for this year is greater than 50%
- Labrita and Anita will start seeing all English and Spanish patients on January 19th. They will focus on discharge.
- RN communication took a dive in December to 16%, but we are on target for the year at 89%
- 18% - we have a lot of work to do
Referral Bonus have started – see below and see email for details!!!
Family Place Commitees
Your staff engagement team has done a splendid job putting together some action items we will start plugging away at later this month. Thank you Elham, Zaira, Rose T, Erika D., Alida and Heather for being the voices and gathering feedback! We have some work to do!
Thank you for all your hard work. I know the floating to other units has been more, and we really appreciate your flexibility! Please voice concerns.
Also all staff I want you to be aware that from time to time a PCA may need to flaot if two wings are less than full. Our PCA’s can take up to 13 patients across two wings if needed. Again, this is not ideal, but may be necessary at times due to patient volume. Thank you for remaining flexible!
Have an unexpected wedding or birthday party? Thanks to your engagement team, You will see a calendar in the breakroom for you to write your name if you want the day off and trade with someone. You can look and help your friend out if you are free or maybe you wanted a different day off that week. Overtime rule applies
Please post your wish list item in the breakroom behind the door on our unit wish list form. This doesn’t guarantee things, but we will certainly consider all requests!
Please remember that our parking lots and garage is owned by a separate company, and NOT Memorial Hermann. We cannot validate or pay for parking for our patients. Some staff have been referring patients to Patient Relations for parking assistance, however they cannot offer paid parking either. Please refrain from directing patients to Patient Relations for parking concerns. Thanks!
We have new folks! Please welcome to our family place!!
Ivy Mamardalo starting 1/8/16
Bibia Joy starting 1/11/16
Anila Cherian starting 1/22/16
Amy Hall starting 2/5/16
Anita Cantrell has started in a new role as a patient coordinator similar to her previous role as patient navigator – I sent an email, but this is going to help our Spanish patients, discharges, breastfeeding rates, and bridge some gaps with provider offices!!!
- Jennifer Mcgonigal and Christina Cantu for enrolling in BSN school!!! We wish you all the luck and a successful journey!
Please send any ideas or suggestions for the newsletter