January 8, 2016
I hope you had a fabulous winter break and a happy and safe New Year! I’m so excited to be back at school with our students and I’m looking forward to rolling up our sleeves and getting right to work! Today, students are coming home with an envelop and there are several items for your review.
1. First semester Report Card
2. GA Milestone Report (if your child attended a Gwinnett County School last year)
3. Carnegie Credit Letter – only if your child is enrolled in a Carnegie Credit Course
4. Academic Assistance Program Invitation – only if your child failed math or language
arts for the 1st semester.
Just as a reminder, promotion to the next grade level is different for each grade level. I have provided a summary of the promotion criteria below. Please contact your child’s homeroom teacher or counselor if you have questions about promotion.
6th Grade: Students should pass five out of six subjects each semester. (Language Arts and Mathematics should be two of the five subjects passed.) Passing a course is determined by the student earning a grade average of no less than 70 percent each semester.
7th Grade: Seventh grade is considered a Gateway year. Students should achieve grade level proficiency on the Georgia Milestone End of Grade (EOG) Assessment in Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies to earn promotion to the next grade level.
8th Grade: Students should pass five out of six subjects each semester. (Language Arts and Mathematics should be two of the five subjects passed.) Passing a course is determined by the student earning a grade average of no less than 70 percent each semester. Students will also need to achieve grade level proficiency on Georgia Milestones End of Grade (EOG) Assessment in ELA and Mathematics.
The BIG Board for Second Semester
I’m always looking for ways to improve and keep our eye on the vision and mission of Bay Creek. If you have students at Grayson High school, you have probably seen their big board, but for those of you who are not familiar with the Big Board, it is a way to showcase our students’ achievements while at the same time creating a focus on improving. Our BIG Board will be on the main hallway just outside the media center. We will be collecting data on grades, attendance, discipline, and community service for all three grade levels as listed below.
1. # of A’s
2. Passing Rate
3. Attendance Rate
4. % of students scoring at the distinguished and high growth levels on interims and post-tests
5. # of discipline referrals
6. # of students with all As and Bs
1. Basketball Game on Thursday, January 07, 2016 @ GHS 5pm
2. 411 Meeting – January 19th @ 6:30pm
3. Math / Science Night – January 26th @ 7:00pm
4. Grade Level Dances
5. Talent Show – February 13th @ GHS
6. Mini-Relay Participation
7. Fine Arts Night – April 14th
8. Number of books read in the Media Center Reading Program
9. Attendance Rate for GA Milestones
The grade level with the highest percent in each category will earn full points. Second place will earn half the available points, and third place will earn a quarter of the points available. All academic categories are worth ten points, and all community events are worth five points.
We will post numbers weekly and as events are completed. I am looking forward to seeing our students engage in this friendly competition and then celebrating as well as recognizing our students for their hard work.
Dates for your Calendar
- Milestone 411 Meeting Sponsored by PTSA on January 19, 2016 @ 6:30pm: Parents are invited to attend a meeting lead by Dr. Fehrman to review your child’s milestone report. The PTSA will be selling pizza for dinner. This is also a Big Board event for students. There will be a movie about Martin Luther King Jr. for students to watch in the music room while parents attend the meeting.
- Math and Science Night – January 26th @ 7:00pm – PTSA is sponsoring a special presentation from Professor Dodad (http://www.dodadslab.com/). This event promises to be a highly engaging and entertaining night for parents and students. We will also be holding our school-wide science fair this evening. This is a Big Board Event!
- Annual Career Day – February 24, 2016 – We are currently looking for volunteers to present information about their careers to our students. A link to sign up is located on our school web page.
- School Dance Updated Dates:
a. 6th Grade: March 18, 2016
b. 7th Grade: February 19, 2016
c. 8th Grade: May 13, 2016
Bay Creek Communication Tools
If you are looking for ways to locate updates and upcoming events at Bay Creek, there are several different ways we will communicate with parents listed below. As the district has moved to the eCLASS platform, teachers no longer have individual webpages. As parent access is not yet available, we encourage parents to log into their child’s eCLASS page and review homework and upcoming classroom assignments.
a. The Bay Creek Beat – a weekly newsletter sent out via email, you can sign up to receive the Bay Creek Beat on our school web page.
b. The Bay Creek Web Page: www.baycreekrams.com/home.html
c. Like our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bcmsrams
d. Download the Connect 2 Grayson App for your iPhone or Android device.
Dr. Maggie Fehrman