We are all leaders...who walk and talk differently.
"A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way." - John C. Maxwell
- Strengths: Strong personality, not afraid to make decisions. Comfortable being in front of people. Have a good idea of where they want to go and how to get there.
- Potential growth areas: May be seen as stubborn or abrasive, because they usually have clear vision of what's ahead. May not be the strongest communicators.
- Captains are the best leaders: They direct the mission. They steer the ship.
CAPTAINS have said...
- decisiveness, quickness
- clear communication that is information specific and less emotional
- technical advice and back up skills that I lack
- someone who encourages me and breathes life into me
- someone who sees my vision and will echo it back to me
- someone who believes in me especially when I lose faith
- someone who knows when I need to lead and when I need to follow
- someone who is completely transparent"
"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." - African Proverb
- Strengths: Encouraging, optimistic and keep everyone moving forward. They can juggle group dynamics and have a good understanding of what the group needs.
- Potential growth: May put group needs in front of theirs. Difficulty discerning for self.
- Sails are the best leaders: Deeply aware & always enthusiastic. They are the wind.
Sails have said...
- with realness, excitement and emotion are always welcome
- with big vision and faith in the seemingly impossible
- by someone who communicates well, asks me questions instead of assuming
- reminders to focus on my personal business, not just my help my team with theirs
- encouragement that my way is good enough, to be uniquely me in leading others
- someone who will slow down the flurry of details, and just help me focus"
"The art of communication is the language of leadership." - James Humes
- Strengths: Excellent communicators, often times the ones people go to when they need help. Great listeners.
- Potential growth areas: Sometimes do not get their own voice heard. They take on other people's "stuff" and help solve their problems, which takes a toll.
- Radios are the best leaders: They are empathetic, trusted, clear. They are the voice.
Radios have said...
- to be led through communication and conversation
- live chats best when I can listen and be heard looking at someone face-to-face
- deep conversation and working things through
- I can voice my thoughts
- I can talk through scenarios"
"Do what is right, not what is easy." Anonymous
- Strengths: Grounded. Solid. Strong. If they believe in something they will speak their mind, even if they are alone. Willing to slow everyone down to get things right.
- Potential growth areas: Can be slow to move forward and hesitant to accept change.
- Anchors are the best leaders: Good at guiding storms with integrity. They're the pace.
Anchors have said...
- someone who gives me certainty by their example
- someone who pours belief into me, especially when mine is down
- someone who is patient, because I feel stronger after I have gathered myself (which can take a sec)
- someone who is 2 steps ahead of me and will help me make a plan
- someone who reminds me I am needed, that my role matters
- someone who will warn me of possible storms ahead"
"The will to succeed means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
- Strengths: Analytical. They search for and utilize copious amounts of information. They are able to turn this into a clear path. Stay straight while gathering what's needed.
- Potential growth: Slow to make decisions. Indecisive if all information is not provided.
- Maps are the best leaders: Intelligent and well-thought-out. They are problem solvers.
MAps have said...
- someone who lets me talk things out and go through different scenarios
- someone who lets me come to conclusions on my own or in partnership
- share anecdotal experiences
- a lot of different perspectives so I can make decisions that are authentic to me"