- they're scientific name is none as Helianthus annus
- used for their edible oil and edible fruit
- first domesticated in Mexico around 2600 BC
- brought to the US about 5000 years ago
- State flower of Kansas
- Fusarium- A fungi that causes sunflowers to welt away
- downy mildew- when shallow planting is done in moist soaked earth or soil, it increases the chance of this mildew.
How to Grow
- harvest the seeds, wait for them to get ripe
- cut the head off the plant
- to protect the seed from birds , cover the flowers with fabric.