Green Scene Oct. 2017
October 2017 Fort McMurray Public School District
All through our district, amazing Green Things are happening!
To get on our mailing list, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Happy Waste Reduction Week! Oct. 16-22, 2017
It's a perfect time to analyze the waste in your class & office garbage can & make a plan for waste reduction. Waste Free Lunches and reusable bottles are a great start!Waste Reduction Week Canada
School Waste Audit
School Learning Gardens
Coming up! Join in!
- RMWB Green Teen program, with Jr. & Sr. High students are designing and implementing action projects that help improve the community. Seven teams are enrolled from Westwood and Ecole McTavish, and one from Bill Woodward. email@example.com
Oct. 23, 2017 Emerald Day Speakers Series for youth: Free, Keyano Theatre
- The Emerald Speakers Series features our past Emerald Award recipients providing TEDTalk-styled presentations on the environment.
- EcoPitch, our take on Dragons Den, invites students to pitch their environmental dream projects to a panel of eco-celebrity judges for the chance to receive a $1000 grant to make it a reality. Runners-up receive $500, permitting their pitch meets the criteria of the Youth Environmental Engagement Grant program. Register now!
9:45 a.m. - 11:00 Emerald Speakers Series (Session 1)
11:00 – 12:00 EcoPitch*
12:45 p.m. – 2:00 Emerald Speakers Series (Session 2)
Nov. 2, 2017 Student Sustainability Summit
Take climate action in your school and community! Join Inside Education as we explore energy and climate change in Fort McMurray. This no-cost experiential education program is open to junior and senior high school students from the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo. Join experts and other students in discovering sustainability initiatives right here in our own backyard through hands-on workshops, speaker sessions and tours. Sign up today.
- Nov. 15-17, 2017 Destination Conservation . Teams of students from grades 4-12, come together from each school to learn about conservation and create year long projects to improve their schools. Students attended a day-long workshop this fall, with 2 more this year. This is our third year. Watch for upcoming information!
Year 1's focus: Energy ConservationThis year's focus: Waste Reduction
Year 2's focus: Water Conservation
- EnviroMentors with Grade 12 students have been buddied with Grade 4 students to teach about community environment and beautification over 5 weeks. Contact 780-792-5968 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Inside Education offers free programming:
Grade 5 - Wetlands classroom program: examine connections with the wetland as well as go through wetland types, wetland adaptations and wetland values.
Grade 8 - Water in Alberta classroom program:examine the cumulative effects of people on our watersheds through an interactive activity. Basics of water testing and innovations related to water will also be examined.
Elements Society For Environmental Education & Leadership
Elements Society for Environmental Education and Leadership has a local facilitator offering experiential learning opportunities for all grades. They can organize curriculum connections. Workbooks and worksheets are included. Possible themes include wetlands, watershed, waste reduction. They can come into the school and work with an individual teacher/class. The can also work with a school to establish environmental goals.
More amazing Green Things happening!
Green Scene FMPSD