On July 5, 1955, Elvis purchased a new Cadillac Fleetwood Series 60 in pink with a black roof. Having mentioned a Pink Cadillac in the song Baby, Let's Play House, the first song recorded by Elvis to appear on a national chart which made #5 on the Billboard Country Singles chart in July 1955; Elvis had the car repainted by Art, a neighbour on Lamar Street. Art designed a customized pink color for Elvis which he named "Elvis Rose," but the car kept its black roof. Once the car was finished Elvis gave it to his mother Gladys as a gift. Mrs. Gladys Presley never had a driver's license, and Elvis drove the car with the members of his band for most of 1955–1956
where did the name come from
Detroiters of the late 19th century were a proud lot. Their French roots ran deep and set them apart from the British and German origins of their neighbors farther East. Leland saw in Le Sieur Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac what he wanted in his own company. Cadillac the man represented the best of Detroit. Leland recognized Cadillac's sense of adventure. Images of the man reflected a well-dressed, well-coiffed high-caliber person. The Frenchman's heraldry, the family crest, was chosen by Leland as the car's logo.