Inglewood Middle Charter Academy
Home of the Cougars!
Excerpt from "Rotten Apples" article. I made a few revisions- they are italicized.
For your information, most people are not reading print media any longer … but they will see that horrid cover depicting every American teacher as a Rotten Apple as they stand in line to get their groceries at the grocery store. And so you have perpetuated an attack on the only people left it seems in this country fighting every day to help children.
In the course of the week that I wrote this response, let me tell you what my [Star Teachers and Staff] did.
- 'Star Teacher and Staff' One sent an email to all of his parents and informed them of their child's success on the benchmark- it included data, scholar's names, future plans, etc,
- 'Star Teacher and Staff' Two spent precious time assembling full uniforms for several scholars that were in need of clean clothes,
- 'Star Teacher and Staff' Three spent an entire Saturday with our 'volleyballers' at a tournament then organized and attended an awards dinner afterwards
- 'Star Teacher and Staff' Four is committed to improving his classroom and establishing a respectful and caring environment- day in and day out,
- 'Star Teacher and Staff' Five stepped in when no one could to teach a class until...,
- 'Star Teacher and Staff' Six encouraged a few of our young ladies to attend a dynamic conference focused on their future careers in science,
- 'Star Teacher and Staff' Seven continues to inspire his colleagues by feeding us education articles that edify our souls,
- 'Star Teacher and Staff' Eight goes to bed late and/or wakes up early to provide goodies to the team on a weekly basis because she knows how important that is to maintaining our culture of giving,
- 'Star Teacher and Staff' Nine came to work even though they did not feel 100% just because they did not want to disappoint their scholars,
- 'Star Teacher and Staff' Ten, Eleven... comes in early and leaves late on a regular basis.
- I can keep going because the truth of the matter is, you are all 'Star Teachers and Staff.'
Take away these people, drive these kinds of educators away from teaching, discourage others from joining the teaching force, and who will fight for children today? Who on a daily basis will look after the American schoolchildren?
Marian Wright Edelman said, “If we don’t stand up for children, then we don’t stand for much.” And Martin Luther King, Jr. said so eloquently, “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” I have been silent for too long. I will no longer be silent as the media attacks public education.
The real question is who will stand with me and raise your voices to protect our children?
Proud to be your leader; excited about our future!
Principal's Meeting on Campus this Wednesday!
Cadre Meeting Has Been Cancelled
Pim is this Thursday
#1 Priority: Culture (The improvements are Palpable!)
- Continue to enforce the expectations and celebrate successes
- Set the expectation, repeat until your class has it down, proceed with your next expectations
- Frequently use talking points to encourage our scholars and stakeholders
- Culture checklist- members of the ILT and Ops team will be observing and providing feedback this week
TEF Classroom Management: 2.1 A. Value of Effort and Challenge
- A member from the ILT will be coming in to observe this indicator
- Academics must be the primary reason for celebration in the classroom
- Behavior is your second reason for celebration
- How will your system highlight academic and behavioral success in your classroom on a daily basis?
ILT is observing the following:
- Many missed opportunities to connect high expectations to high grades, top colleges, etc
- Lack of scholar work/achievements up in the classroom (Data wall can be used)
- Connect current learning experiences to short and long term goals rather than just completion of the objective itself
- Student of the Day, Week, Month and/or Year- Recognition and incentives
TEF Behavior Focus: 2.2 A
I am observing the following:
- Scholars talking over the teacher
- Scholars are unclear about shifts in their expectations during the different parts of the cycle
- Don't talk over scholars. Stop and make eye contact with the scholar who is talking. Throughout the lesson walk with purpose toward scholar who may have a hard time staying on task
- During the Do Now, I need you to be at level 0, working independently. If you have a question/comment/concern raise your hand and I will come by
- While I am talking I need all eyes on me, level 0, SLANTING
TEF Academic Focus: 3.3 B
- Scholars providing one word answers
- Responding to answers with 3-5 grammatical errors
- Once the scholar answers the question, prompt them to restate the answer using the following academic terms and/or evidence (have scholars refer to notes, PowerPoint slide, etc to determine academic language and facts) in a complete sentence. For scholars who may struggle with using complete sentences, model the correct way to answer the question (with academic vocab/evidence) and allow them repeat. (Note that this is a child that needs small group instruction)
- Provide scholar with sentence starter, example of what can be said
- Pull child aside to discuss the error- especially when it's reoccuring
PSAs this Wednesday
Thanksgiving Break and Data Day (Pupil Free Day)
Take care of yourself and your family- run those errands you have been putting off, enjoy the special people in your life, and don't forget to give thanks!
- Data Day (Pupil Free Day) is Monday, Nov 30- Details to follow!
Data and PLCs
Also, shout out to Terrence for his work at the event... Apparently we missed each other by a few moments Terrence!
***Save The Date***
Month of November
- Tuesday, 17: Team Pot Luck
- Wednesday, 18: Prinipal's Meeting at IIMCA
- Wednesday, 18: Mentor Wednesday
- Wednesday, 18: Cadre Meetings- Cancelled- Work in your classrooms
- Thursday, 19: PIM
- Friday, 20: Culture Day!
- Monday- Friday: 23- 27, Enjoy Thanksgiving Break All!
- Monday, 30: Pupil Free Day, ICEF Data Day (details to come)