Jaguar Tracks for Families
December 8, 2020
From the Desk of Mrs. Ippolito
Dear Joshua Eaton Families,
We are so grateful for our JE Families. Thank you to all of our families who have made donations through the Book Fair to the various classrooms and staff. These donations directly impact the classroom libraries with new titles and new children's literature for our students.
December 7th starts the first day of Term 2. We had several students switching their model for learning on Monday as well. The next opportunity will be the beginning of Term 3 in March for a change of learning model. This of course is if Joshua Eaton has space. I want to share with families that our school has the largest percentage of students accessing both models. We have maximized all learning spaces within the building and are proud to say that every child is in the model that families have requested.
Over the last few weeks, during morning announcements the staff and I have been focusing our student's attention on random acts of kindness. Students have heard stories, seen videos both live and remotely, and filled out colorful hearts with the acts they themselves have done. It is so rewarding to see the pride our students take in being kind. A few examples from the hearts (a picture of the bulletin board so far is below).
1. A played with my sister, then though I didn't want to.
2. I helped my mom put the dishes away in the cabinet.
3. I played with my friends and then invite someone who was alone to play too.
4. I used the quiet signal in the cafe to help Mrs. Golden.
I hope that these examples made you smile.
- December 7th - Term 2 begins
- December 9th - Cohort B Grs 4 & 5 Picture Day
- December 10th - Hannukah Begins at Sundown
- December 17th - Cohort A - Grs 4 & 5 Picture Day
- December 23rd - Holiday Break Begins
- December 25th - Christmas Day
- December 26th - Kwanzaa Begins
- January 4th - Return to School - Cohort A Week
- January 15th - Professional Development Day - No School for Students
- January 18th - Martin Luther King Jr. Day - No School
Report Card Timelines
Term 1 Report Cards will be going home through the portal on December 18th.
Just for family information, Term 2 is from December 7, 2020, until March 11, 2021, as it stands right now. Report cards will be sent home on March 26th for Term 2.
Please also see below the Report Card Update for 2020-21.
PTO Meeting Follow-Up
Please reach out to me at any time: email@example.com. The PTO is a wonderful way to connect with parents and staff alike, and we encourage anyone, who is willing and able to volunteer, to join us! As always, we are thankful for our staff and parent community!
-Amber Hunt, JE PTO President
Direct Donation Drive
Our PTO Enrichment Chairs have been hard at work looking for ways to provide fun enrichment opportunities to our students, in a virtual model. We are able to fund some opportunities with revenue remaining from last years' budget, but we still actively need donations. Many of the enrichment programs maintain the same cost, even though they are not in-person.
Although the PTO anticipates spending approx. $100 per child this year (see detailed breakdown in attached donation form), given the circumstances, we propose a donation of $50 per student in order to maintain our ability to fund enrichment and teacher support.
As different activities re-open, our PTO will draw from donations and monies received through fundraising. Donations can be given using the QR Code provided, Venmo, Paypal or checks. Any and all donations are greatly appreciated! Our direct donation drive will remain open all year - so please feel free to donate as you are able. Thank you for your support!
BOOK FAIR ...Last Day for Holiday Delivery!!
Last Chance is today for holiday delivery!
We have extended the sales for only 6 more days but can not guarantee delivery before the Christmas holiday.
Support our school and spread the joy of reading!
Don’t forget...many teachers, support staff, and specialists have e-wallets to donate to as well! Please note that the suggested amount of $30 is embedded into the Scholastic site and we can’t edit or remove it. Please do not feel obligated to donate that amount. Any amount is welcome and appreciated! Here are the links for the e-wallets:
Joshua Eaton News
Student Absences - IMPORTANT
There are two ways to do that prior to 7:45 am of the morning the student is absent:
1. Call 781-942-9161, Dial 1 - leave a message
2. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
JE School Supply Pick-Up - Next Pick-up December 10th
Morning Arrival - Begins at 8:10.
Also, we have suspended the Weather Flag Day procedure because we would be unable to maintain social distancing for students from random classrooms when they arrive. So instead the teachers and staff on duty will be opening our exterior doors at 8:10 sharp. Thank you!
From the Desk of Mrs. Trevejo, School Nurse
To our JE community –
Winter Clothing – Please make sure that your children come to school with gloves, hats, and warm jackets. Layering always helps when temperatures fluctuate during the day. As a reminder, we are unable to provide back up clothing from the health office this year. Please keep an extra outfit in your child’s backpack, in case a clothing change is necessary.
Flu Shot Update – We are in the home stretch! Flu shot documentation is due by 12/31/2020. If you have not scheduled a flu shot for your child yet, please do so ASAP. We have just over 80% compliance right now. If you have paperwork to submit, please email me at email@example.com or fax it to 781-942-9053.
COVID update –
Just a reminder - If you have a symptomatic student at home and have your child tested, please wait until you receive results before sending your child back to school. Please continue to do your part in keeping our JE students, families, and staff safe.
Please reach out if you have any concerns,
PE Weekly challenge with Ms. Cucinotta
Holiday Gratitude Cards for Tufts Children’s Hospital Staff
Join the Joshua Eaton Student Council in creating Holiday Gratitude cards for the staff at Tufts Children’s Hospital. We are looking to spread some cheer this holiday season!
- Make electronic cards here and email them to Ms. Lewis (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Make a homemade paper card and bring it into school where you can give it to your teacher (or leave it in your drop off bag if you are remote)! All cards will be quarantined before sending them!
- No matter what, please don’t include your names! Sign it from the Joshua Eaton Jaguars.
All cards are due by Friday, December 18th at 3pm. Click here to see example cards from Student Council members. We can’t wait to see all the Joshua Eaton Jaguars practicing compassion this winter!!
Reading SEPAC (Special Education Parent Advisory Council)
Please join the SEPAC (Special Education Parent Advisory Council) at our next business meeting on Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 7:00 PM! New business to be discussed includes an update from the Director of Student Services, Dr. Jennifer Stys, regarding the special education program descriptions; a report from the SEPAC reading/literacy subcommittee; and a request for a SEPAC budget liaison volunteer regarding the Reading Public Schools FY 2021 Budget.
This meeting will be held virtually, via Microsoft Teams.
Join us for our next
VIRTUAL SEPAC MEETING
on Tuesday, December 8th at 7PM.
Meeting link: Click here to join the meeting
All are welcome and ENCOURAGED to attend!
The mission of the Reading Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) is to work for the understanding of, respect for, and support of, all children with special needs in the community.
Superintendent Virtual Office Hours
- Now that we have begun the school year, we will be restarting the Superintendent Virtual Office Hours. Office hours will be scheduled in 20 minutes blocks of time on Microsoft Teams. If you would like to schedule an office hour, please complete this link.
Office of Student Services
Special Education Support
If you have any questions about your student’s IEP or services please reach out to our building Team Chairperson, Shana Goldwyn at Shana.Goldwyn@reading.k12.ma.us
Family Support Resources
Please be reminded of these amazing resources, if your family is in need:
- RPS Behavioral Health Resources linked here.
- Town of Reading: compiled resources linked here.
- RCASA and Mental Health Support linked here.
- St. Vincent de Paul linked here.
- Free & Reduced lunch access: sign up here.
- Reading Food Pantry linked here.
- Project Bread link here.
- Residential Financial Assistance (Rent/Mortgage) link here. (New resource! Check it out!)