Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate
The child forms his lips in about 6 weeks and the palate forms about 10 weeks into the pregnancy. A cleft lip or palate happens when they don't form completely.The Changes in the baby's genes can cause it or not getting enough folic acid before pregnancy.
- small notches in the upper lip
- feeding problems
- ear infections and hearing loss
- speech problems
- dental problems
Most cases oral clefts can be repaired by surgery. It can be done 10 to 12 weeks after birth. The surgery for a cleft palate is done between 9 and 18 months.
If you have a cleft lip or cleft palate you can live a full normal life.
- People with cleft lip or palate have a special dentist to care for there teeth.
- They have to have speech or language specialist.
- They go to an audiologist to check there hearing, for hearing loss.