By:Nina Plata and Derlin Howard
what is a platyhelminthes?
They are living thing in the Phylum platythlminthes (flatworms) that consists of 20,000 species of soft-bodies bilaterally symmetrical invertebrate animals. There are four types of flatworms and they are : Turbellaria , Trematoda, Cestoda , and Monogenea. Most flatworms are carnivore. Flatworms have no gills or respitory orgns , heart, blood vessels, or blood
- Also known as Tapeworms
- A parasite usually found in animals such as cows and pigs.
- Can enter the body through consumption of uncooked food or thorough contaminated water.
- Pork Tape worms have been found to be the most dangerous. They can enter the head and cause death.
- Pork Tapeworm is able to travel through all of the vital organs
- Can be at least 20 feet long
- Even though it is a highly illegal and dangerous they are sold and used a weight loss method.
- the most primitive group from the phylum Platyhelmenthis is the class Turbellaria.
- Turbellarians are free-living
- some turbellarians reproduce sexually while some reproduce by fission and regeneration
- When turbellarians are reproducing by fission and regeneration their tail end is out into their head and the flatworm splits in half
- Most are Ectoparasites ( they live outside of their host cell)
- They few that are endoparisite usually live in their hosts blatter
- They have more than one host throught their lifecycle
- Whales, Reptiles, Amphibians, Octopus, and Squids are usually the primary host.
Worms regenerate decapitated heads with memories