Mrs. Holloway's Room 16 News
September 8 - September 11
More book order options came home today!
You may also order online @ the link below! Each order placed helps us earn points to grow our classroom library!
Congratulations to our August Tiger Character Students of the Month
What we are learning this week:
We will review the above phonics skills in preparation for the unit test this week.
Spelling City Practice Links
We will be reviewing all fiction and nonfiction skills learned thus far in preparation for our unit test this week.
- Point of View
- Main Idea and Details
- Identifying characters, setting, and important events in a story
- Text Features (Focus on Table of Contents)
- Main Idea and Details
- Finding evidence in the text
Purple Reading Homework Folders came home today! Please click below or check your students folder for important directions! This homework should be counted toward your child's 20 minutes of reading each night.
- Click here to read the Reading Homework Folder Parent Letter
- The reading homework should only take you and your child 5-10 minutes each night. Therefore, your child may spend the rest of the 20 minutes reading a book of his or her choice. Please consider having your child log on to Raz-Kids. These books are at your child's level and are nonfiction. Library books are also great to read in preparation for AR tests.
We will review the following skills for the unit test.
- Types of sentences and correctly using a period, question mark, and exclamation point
- Common and Proper Nouns
- Collective Nouns
- Singular and Plural Nouns
- Students will develop a topic for their own fairytale writing. This writing must include a beginning, signal words, details that describe, and an ending.
- Making 10 to Subtract
- Problem-Solving: Two-Question Problems
- Review Thursday
- Test on Friday
- We will continue to do addition and subtraction time tests. Each test has 24 questions and is timed for 1 minute. Once a student passes tests, like adding or subtracting 0, 1, and 2, he or she will move on to more challenging math fact tests.
- The end of the year goal is to pass 100 addition facts in 5 minutes and 100 subtraction facts in 6 minutes.
- Students may practice math facts at the following websites:
http://www.factmonster.com/math/flashcards.html (should work on computer and tablet)
http://www.abcya.com/math_facts_game.htm (requires flash - computer only)