Warrior Team Update
2020-2021 School Year
We are excited to have you on our team this year! Check out this website to find important dates and updated information. We are thrilled to start yet another wonderful and successful year here at Plaza Middle School!
Meet Your Teachers
(L-R) Mrs. Swanstone, Mrs. Sapenoff,
Ms. Sutton, Mrs. Fulton,
and Mrs. Mulcahey
Sept. 8: First day of school
Oct. 29: End of first quarter
Nov. 25-27: Thanksgiving break (no school)
Dec. 23-31: Winter break (no school)
Jan. 1: Winter break (no school)
Jan. 15: End of second quarter
Jan. 18: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (no school)
March 26: End of third quarter
March 29-31: Spring break (no school)
April 1-2: Spring break (no school)
May 28: Last day of school, depending on snow days
June 3: Tentative start date for summer school, depending on snow days
Ms. Sutton- math
I am so excited for this year at Plaza Middle School! This will be my 9th year of teaching middle school math. I have my Bachelor of Arts in Middle School Mathematics from Westminster College, my Master’s in Educational Psychology from Mizzou, and am currently working on my Education Specialist in Administration from William Woods University. When I am not teaching I enjoy spending time at the lake with my family, watching Mizzou, Chiefs, or Royals games, or watching Netflix.
Mrs. Sapenoff- Reading
I am excited for another year at Plaza. Before my time at Plaza, I worked with ESL students at Tiffany Ridge Elementary and also taught 7th-12th grade in Honduras. My undergraduate degree is from John Brown University (Siloam Springs, AR) and my Master’s degree is from Rockhurst University. Along with teaching at Plaza, I coach debate at Park Hill High School (go Trojans!). When I’m not at school, I love cooking, reading, and spending time with my family. My husband is also an English teacher in Olathe and we just had our first baby girl, Lucy, this summer.
Mrs. Fulton- Language Arts (ELA)
I am very excited for my first year at Plaza Middle School. This will be my 19th year as a teacher. I’ve previously taught 3rd grade, 5th grade, 8th grade, and 9th grade. Outside of school, I love to spend time with my family, take my dog for long walks, swim, spin, and watch Mizzou sports, Chiefs, and Royals games.
Mrs. Mulcahey- science
I am thrilled to be starting my 6th year at Plaza Middle School and 10th year of teaching middle school science. I have been married for 18 years to my husband Jimmy and we have 2 sons; Finn will be a Sophomore at Rockhurst and Joe will be in 7th grade at St. Elizabeth. I am currently working on my Masters in Reading from Arkansas State University. I am a proud University of Missouri grad! Go Tigers!
Mrs. Swanstone- social studies
I am so excited to start this school year with you! This will be my 7th year teaching and my 2nd year at Plaza. I have been married for 3 years to my husband, Jason, and we have 1 son, Landon, who is a year and a half. I graduated from Tabor College (Hillsboro, KS) with a Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education with a minor in English. I also have a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction from Kansas University.
· Language Arts: professional communication, informational writing, narrative writing, text structures, argumentative writing, reflection on the years writing. Learning mechanics and grammar rules will be taught throughout all of the units.
· Life Education: guide students in organization and principles of learning
· Math: basic algebra, expressions, equations, fractions, decimals, integers – instruction emphasizes real-world application of mathematics
· Reading: practice reading comprehension skills, foster reading enjoyment, elaborate text structure skills , understand communication in ELA, and increase reading stamina
· Science: Chemical Reactions, Properties of Matter, Earth’s Systems, Structure and Function of Living Things
· Social Studies: U.S. History from exploration to reconstruction after the Civil War
· Tutorial: meets every morning and students will be organized based on data to meet all their needs
Follow us on Instagram! @plaza_warriors