January 10th, 2016
Welcome to 2016!
There are plenty of amazing things going on, including the Marine Biology trip to Monterey (see below), the opening ceremonies for our new and revitalized gym this Saturday (see short piece below), and new and dynamic uses of technology and learning on campus. Thanks again for entrusting your children to our staff here at PHS!
Grand Ceremony for The New Gym!
Banners We Love!
COMING UP January Events
January 9th - PHS Gym Grand Opening
January 11th - Principal's Tour
January 11th-14th- Elective Passport Days
January 11th - PTSA @6:30pm
January 14th - Club Rush 2
January 14th - Site Council
January 14th - 8th Grade Parent Night
January 18th - Martin Luther King Jr. Day - NO SCHOOL
January 23rd - Winter Formal dance
February 25th - AP/Honors Evening (NOTE- This is a rescheduled date)
Varsity Jazz Ensemble Joins Con Brio at The Mystic!
Don't miss the Varsity Jazz Ensemble @ The Mystic Theatre, performing a benefit concert for the PHS Music Dept. on January 16th at the Mystic Theatre with headliner "Con Brio." Tickets are $20 and can be purchased here:
See the poster below!
New PHS Website
Marine Students Take Monterey!
Thursday, they are up early to catch the whales in the bay. Mr. Tacata will post pictures and more to our website on their return. Sounds like an amazing adventure!
CAASPP Testing - Coming in April!
Please send us any questions you may have about the CAASPP test and its implications.
Wrestling Comes Out Strong
PHS Wrestling has come out of their winter preparation and are already finding great results on the mats. The team had a convincing 67-0 win versus Elsie Allen Wednesday evening, highlighted by strong showings from Eric Machado (by pin) and Cindy Diaz. In early January, the squad competed in the very competitive Pittsburg Invitational. Highlights include:
Queen of the Mat
Citlalle Caldron – 111 lbs – went 2-2 Did a great job and won some key matches.
Alyssa Archer – 116 lbs – went 2-2 Is doing a great job after a late start for the season.
Michelle Larsen – HWT went 3-0 and took First place. Michelle won a close match in the finals. She won with her good conditioning and constant pressure she put on her opponent in the finals.
132 lbs- Jack Reynolds – went 3-2 and tied for 5th place. Jack is doing great and keeps improving each week.
138 lbs – Colton Prieto – 2-2, Only losses for the weekend came to the 1 ranked wrestler in NCS from Freedom H.S. and #4 ranked NCS wrestlers from Novato H.S. Colton did a great job and is out performing his Freshman status.
JV Boys – Pittsburg H.S.
113 lbs Connor Pederson went 4-0 – took 1st place
Well done, team, and Coach Schloesser!
Ag Mechanics Harnessing Technology
Coming up: Course Selection for 2016-17
- January 11th-14th: Elective Passport Days - Students will be given a list of elective courses available and be able to walk around that week and visit with teachers on courses they are interested in. Trojan Connections on Thursday, January 14th will be a time to discuss what students discovered.
- January 14th: 8th Grade Parent Night - intended for incoming freshman parents. (Counselors will be visiting PJHS earlier in the week and other feeder school shortly thereafter)
- January 19-22: Juniors will be registering for their courses. Parent info sessions will be held in the library on Thursday, 1/21 & Friday, 1/22 from 8a-9a.
- January 25-29: Sophomores will be registering for their courses. Parent info sessions will be held in the library on Thursday, 1/28 & Friday, 1/29 from 8a-9a.
- February 1-5: Freshman will be registering for their courses. Parent info sessions will be held in the library on Thursday, 2/4 & Friday, 2/5 from 8a-9a.
- Honors/AP Classes: On February 25th, we will hold an AP/Honors Evening for students and parents to learn more specific information on the AP/Honors classes that students are interested in. We will send more information on this closer to the date but please SAVE THE DATE at this time.
Testing Petaluma Air Quality: Linking With Local Technology
Thanks to Ms. Boyes for putting it all together and the great people at Sonoma Technology for partnering with PHS!
Trojan Boys Take Down El Molino to Open League Play
Below, Cheerleaders join the student section in joyfully celebrating the win!