Week of May 16
News and Announcements
2. Uniform free day is May 27th. Please make sure your child is wearing proper uniform outfits each day!!
3. Monday May 30th is Memorial Day. There will be no school that day.
The Great Egg Drop
More information: Read below to learn about The Great Egg Drop that will be on Monday, June 6. Will you have the lightest device to protect the egg? The winner will receive a trophy!
The Great Egg Drop
Can you build the lightest device to protect an egg dropped from 3 meters?
1. Design and build a device that will protect an egg when it is dropped from a distance of 3 meters.
2. You may use any recyclable materials.
3. Your raw egg will be placed in a baggie and loaded into your device at school.
4. Devices are due by June 6. The Great Egg Drop will take place on Monday, June 6.
5. If the egg survives, the device will be weighed, and the smallest mass wins!
straws, popsicle sticks, tape, paper, glue, boxes, plastic containers, cotton balls, paper towels, plastic bags
Last Day of School
Reading: We will be reading nonfiction in class. This week we will look at how an author organizes a book in regards to the main idea of the text. Students will need to be able to summarize a section of a nonfiction book. The students will have a discussion about what they think the author's message is of a nonfiction book and why they wrote that book.
Math: This week's work is a review of skills learned in the beginning of the year but with numbers to 1,000. They will write numbers in different forms (expanded, standard, word and in pictures). They will need to be able to compare and order numbers to 1,000.
Writing: Students will be writing a scientific book using mentor text. We will complete an experiment and look at how a scientist would publish his/her findings from doing the experiment.
Read 20 minutes
Response: Tell bout your favorite part in the book and explain why it was your favorite part.