Friday, December 16, 2022
Translation is available in other languages - click on Translate Newsletter
Traducción al español está disponible si presiona la palabra Translate Newsletter
Message From Dr. Cole
Hello TLA Families!
Thank you for all of your support as we venture into our winter season. Our TLA families are the BEST in the city! The support you all showed at the K-3 winter sing was incredible and so greatly appreciated! Our scholars showed their talents and gifts as they performed some wonderful melodies. I just wanted to share a few quick reminders with all of you:
- Beginning Monday, January 2nd, 2023, Ms. Priscilla El-Amin (firstname.lastname@example.org) will be the 6-10th grade principal and Ms. Tavi Riddle (email@example.com) will be the K4-3rd grade principal. We are excited to have two amazing leaders supporting TLA.
- New construction will be taking place in the new year, as we add on a cafeteria and build out our current shell space. We will keep you updated as work progresses.
- Re-enrollment opens on Tuesday, January 3rd, 2023, for current scholars. That means you will need to re-enroll on-line during the month of January in order to keep your scholar's seat for the 2023-24 school year. We want ALL of your scholars to come back next year so please make sure you re-enroll.
- New scholar enrollment runs from Feb.1st to Feb. 28th to secure a spot in the lottery. Remember, if you have friends or family that you want to join us at TLA they will need to apply on-line during February. If you recommend someone and they list you on their application in the "How did you hear about us?" section, you will be entered into a drawing for new uniforms! Also, if you have any other children you wish to enroll, please apply at that time. We do honor sibling preference so there will be a better chance for them to gain a seat.
- Surveys will be sent out to all families, scholars and staff on January 4th. Please make sure you fill out the survey. It only takes a few minutes and your responses are greatly appreciated and your input is valued!
We hope you have a restful and joyous winter break! See you in the new year!
☃️ December Spirit Week ☃️
Elementary Winter Sing
Holiday Pep Rallies
Middle School Winter Dance
Quarter Two Closing
- When we return to school on Jan. 2 we will only have 9 days of school left in quarter two. Any missing assignments need to be turned in prior to the end of the quarter.
- High school teachers have been working with any scholars in jeopardy of not passing classes and providing them with the work they are missing and need to retake.
- High school scholars earn 0.5 credit for passing semester courses. Passing GPA is 60% and above.
- Progress reports for high school scholars have been sent to parents today. We will send them again on Jan. 6th.
High School Foreign Language Courses
- Online classes available to complete lessons-entire break
- Tutoring (virtual) and Teacher Help-Monday, December 26 through Friday, December 30 (9:00am – 6:00pm eastern)
- If lessons become locked teacher will be able to unlock lessons from 12/26-12/30.
- This is a GREAT time to work on those foreign language lessons in order to be able to complete the course and earn credit for the semester.
- Foreign language progress reports were sent out to all families this afternoon.
- TLA provides corded headphones for scholars in K4-8th grades.
- High school scholars are required to purchase their own headphones.
- If scholars do not prefer to wear the provided headphones, they are required to bring their own headphones. Headphones must be corded (no Blue Tooth).
- Earbud headphones may be purchased at the front office for $2.00.
- Be sure to label personal headphones with your name.
- Middle school and high school scholars have been using microphone headphones that belong to the school, which are not available for general use. Ms. Flitz and Mr. Turk have these special headphones for assessment and computer science purposes.
Winter Break Reading Challenge
OPTIONAL Learning Activities for Break
Mr. Cieplewski's Message
Happy Holidays TLA families!! Your scholars have been working so hard and you should be proud of the strides they have made in the classroom. We will miss your scholars and look forward to seeing them on January 2nd.
Things to remember when we come back: Scholars must be in school uniform. This means all scholars must have black shoes, black socks, black dress pants, uniform tops and black or white undershirt. A belt must be worn if scholars are wearing uniform polos. No belt needed if scholars are wearing ¼ zips. Parents will receive a phone call/text message if scholars are not in proper dress code. We wish you a wonderful break.
Mr. Anderson's Message
As we go into the holiday season, I hope it brings joy and love to everyone around you. When we come back from break our virtue is RESPONSIBILITY. Please talk to your scholar about being responsible for gloves, hats, coats, and sweatshirts. Our lost and found bins are full to capacity. Thank you for all you do and have a safe and wonderful holiday.
As we prepare for winter break, we want to remind families that break begins on Saturday, December 17th, 2022, and school will resume on Monday, January 2nd, 2023. We appreciate everyone’s efforts to avoid taking extra time off after the winter break. If your child is healthy, please encourage attending class when school is in session. Every day of school is an important opportunity for scholars to learn and connect with their peers and teachers. Let’s all work together to do our part to reach that goal of 95% attendance at TLA!
Career Chat with Ms. Benisch
Rock County Courthouse Visit
Scholars are continuing to explore government careers this month. Scholars interested in careers in government had the opportunity to attend a field trip to the Rock County Courthouse. During the visit scholars watched court in session and learned about careers in the field. They had the opportunity to ask questions to a judge, bailiff, district attorney, attorney, and court reporter.
Computer Science Week
Last week scholars celebrated Computer Science Week by participating in Hour of Code during Computer Science class. Scholars in K5-3rd and 6-8th grade attend Computer Science class weekly. This is important to ensuring all scholars have the skills, knowledge, and tools they need to grow in our advancing technology world. This will also set scholars up for success if they are interested in pursuing a career in computer science.
Athletic Updates with Mr. Clothier
Upcoming Athletic Events
- MS Boys Basketball @ OLSHA 5:30 (4:30 bus)
- MS Girls Basketball @ Faith Christian 5:30
- JV Boys Basketball Home vs. One City Academy 6:00
- JV Girls Basketball Home vs. One City Academy 7:15
- MS Boys Basketball Tournament @ Rockford Christian Life School 9:00am
- JV Wrestling @ Sauk Prairie 9:00am
Please follow the TLA Athletic Calendar at https://as.rschooltoday.com/public/genie/1549/school/1/
You may also receive notifications when there are schedule additions or changes by downloading the rSchoolToday Activity Scheduler.
Upcoming Events Calendar
Career Focus - Arts and Communication
- 1/2 - 1/27 - Character Virtue - RESPONSIBILITY
- 1/3 - 1/6- K4-3rd MAP Reading Fluency Assessment
- 1/3 - 1/6- ACCESS Testing
- 1/6 - Big Radio Tour
- 1/3 - 1/31 - Re-enrollment Window
- 1/10 - 1/12 - SEAL-A-SMILE
- 1/12 - Dress Down Day
- 1/13 - NO SCHOLAR ATTENDANCE - Records Day /Quarter 2
- 1/16 - NO SCHOOL - MLK Day
1/17 - PLC Meeting (4:30 – 5:30 pm)
- 1/17 - 1/23 - K5 – 10th MAP Growth Assessment
- 1/24 - 1/26 - SEAL-A-SMILE
- 1/26 - 1/27 - Parent/Teacher Conferences & STEAM NIGHTS
- 1/27 - NO SCHOLAR ATTENDANCE
- 1/30 - 2/24 - Character Virtue - EMPATHY