The Bulldog Buzz!
Week of December 7, 2015
How will you think like a scientist to understand the world around us?
Conferences, Data Review & Book Fair
Monday, Dec. 7th, 8:30am to Friday, Dec. 11th, 2:30pm
Thursday, Dec. 10th, 9:30am
- Grade 1 Performance - 9:30 AM
- Grade 3 Honors Choir - 7:00 PM
CAST Paperwork DUE
Thursday, Dec. 3rd, 9pm
- This is for the 12/17 meetings.
The Curriculum Corner: 2a-Creating an Environment of Respect & Rapport
Component 2a consists of two Elements: Teacher Interaction w/Students & Student Interaction w/Students. While we all develop some type of relationship with our children as learners, Danielson states that the most successful teachers are able to establish respect & understanding based on our students’ lives outside of school. She goes on to state that this has enormous implications for immigrant students and students whose socio-economic backgrounds differ from ours.
It is through these interactions that we encourage and cultivate an environment where students are comfortable taking “intellectual risks” and where the norms of interactions may begin to shift from the “patterns of behavior at home and in the larger community.” This is not to say that the master teacher creates the “perfect class” – we know that this isn’t reality. Instead, mastery in this component is based on HOW the teacher responds to various situations/interactions throughout the day.
The critical attributes of a classroom environment that effectively addresses the Elements of 2a include the following characteristics:
- Talk between teacher and students and among students is uniformly respectful. When necessary, students correct one another in their conduct toward classmates.
- Teacher responses to disrespectful behavior among students or to incorrect contributions are subtle and respect the student’s dignity.
- There is no disrespectful behavior among students.
- Teacher demonstrates knowledge and caring about the individual students’ lives beyond school.
Click on the red bar below if you would like to visit the Curriculum Corner online to review our series on Danielson's 4 Domains.
News & Notes
- PM Announcements/Bulldog Buddy Winners has been interrupting some instruction between 2:00 and dismissal. Therefore (as you may have noticed) we're going to call the winners each morning instead!
- Early Dismissal lunch times will be the same as regular day lunch times (11:00, 11:35 & 12:10).
- Stay tuned for a FANTASTIC assembly to kick-off our science essential question! It will take place on the 18th...and THANK YOU to Stephanie Bernstiel for getting the ball rolling!
You're the Best...Quotes from the Staff!
- Michelle Rullo – thanks for the friendship chain and reminding us of how important our friendships are
- Karen Peale - Thanks for all you do for the children. You always go the extra mile to help them be successful.
- Thank you to everyone who participated in the Friendship Chain. We had 100% participation. I am so thankful for a wonderful group of individuals to make my work days brighter.
- Castro for all your hard work!!
- Mel Storey for the heads up!
- Gloria thank you for your tech help!
- Theresa for the great lesson!
- Carol for all your help with my students!
- Joan, Carol, and Aileen--thank you so much for your help last week!!
Kudos to the BSI staff for all your collaboration with trimester 1 progress reports! Whew!
- 12/04 - Assessment Data DUE (F&P, Math Benchmarks)
- 12/07 - Parent/Teacher Conferences & Book Fair (12/7-12/11)
- 12/08 - Bulldog Buddies Meeting
- 12/10 - Winter Concerts (Gr1 @ 9:30 PM; Gr3 Chorus @ 7:00 PM)
- 12/16 - SIT Meetings (ELA Units & Minority Student Achievement); PTO Holiday Shop (12/16-12/18)
- 12/17 - CAST Meetings; Comprehension-Conversation PLC
- 12/18 - Star Student Luncheon
- 12/23 - Star Student Assembly (9:30, Gym)