Indian Creek Elementary - April 2016
Round 2 of ISTEP is quickly approaching. Students in grade 3,4,5, & 6 will be taking the Multiple-Choice and Technology-Enhanced item Assessment (Part 2) online from April 18th to May 6th. The purpose of the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress Plus (ISTEP+) program is to measure student achievement in the subject areas of Reading, Writing, Mathematics, Science (Grades 4 and 6), and Social Studies (Grades 5 and 7). ISTEP+ reports student achievement levels according to the Indiana Academic Standards. You can find additional information on both of these state assessments at www.doe.in.gov/assessment.
What can you do to prepare your child for these assessments:
1) Help to make sure they are completing their nightly homework
2) Encourage their nightly reading
3) Make sure your child is here at school, on time, each and every day
4) Try not to schedule appointments during these testing days, students often test best when they are with their own teacher and in a familiar place
5) Help children to get to bed on time so they are ready to work hard at school
Click here to read all Sunday messages. If you are not receiving weekly Sunday messages via email please contact the office at 964-4400.
4-15: Pennies for Patients
8: Movie Night; 6:00-9:00 p.m.
12: PFO General Meeting; 6:30
15: Trash bag order forms due
18 - May 6: ISTEP testing window (computer portion)
22: Snow Make-up Day, if needed
24: Volunteer Appreciation Picnic; 1:00-4:00 p.m. (rain or shine)
30: Folk Dance Festival
1: IC Indianapolis Indians Day
6: 2nd Grade Family Night; 7:00
10: PFO General Meeting; 6:30
13: 4th Grade Pioneer Day
17: 1st Grade Zoo Night; 6:00
20: Field Day (Rain Date - May 24th)
26: 6th Grade Celebration
27: Last Day for Students
Month in Review - March
Explorer News TV
If you have changes to your student's dismissal procedures, they must be called into the office prior to 1:30. This will ensure an ample amount of time for the communication to be properly delivered. Also don’t forget that all parent visits with the classroom teacher must be scheduled in advance to avoid interrupting the learning environment. If you would like to schedule a parent teacher conference please contact your classroom teacher directly or call the main office at 964-4400.
Also, please make sure the office is informed if you have any changes to your family's emergency contact information. Thank you!
Teacher Appreciation Week
Teacher Appreciation Week is May 2nd to 6th and it will be here before we know it! The PFO Hospitality Committee needs your help! In order to show our Teachers and Staff how much they are appreciated, many volunteers and supplies are needed.
Please contact Tanya Price at firstname.lastname@example.org. Details on the week will be updated soon. Thanks in advance!
Thank you to our Volunteers
Sunday, April 24th
1:00 – 4:00 pm (rain or shine)
IC Outdoor Lab
Anyone who volunteered this year, in any capacity, is welcome! Please bring blankets or chairs and lawn games for old fashioned picnic! Hike through the outdoor lab, fish at the pond, visit with families or play outdoor games.
Hot dogs, chips, marshmallows and lemonade will be provided. Feel free to bring a dessert or side to share.
Parent Information and Resource Center
Did you know that there is a Parent Information and Resource Center in our area? The Indiana Partnerships Center located at 911 E. 86th Street, Suite 110 works to empower parents about their rights and responsibilities pertaining to their children’s education in the following ways:
Providing parent-focused workshops that are scheduled by schools, community groups, or parent groups.
Providing education-related information and resource materials, including information about school choice, attendance, tips for parents and teachers talking together, and how to have a family friendly school.
Helping schools develop parent engagement strategies that provide opportunities for parents to become decision-makers in their children's school, resources for school improvement, and mentors to others.
Contact them at 317-205-2595 or on the web at www.fscp.org for more information on how you can become involved!
Community Activities & Events
- Lawrence Township School Foundation News - 2016 "FORE THE KIDS" GOLF TOURNAMENT
- Lawrence Central Volleyball Clinic June 11 - for girls entering grades 4 - 6 from 9:00 am - 12 noon. Contact Coach Montgomery at email@example.com.
- Summer Art Camp - a visual and performing arts day camp held at the Theater at the Fort, 8920 Otis Ave., June 20-July 22 9 am - 3 pm, open to ages 6 - 12
- Lawrence Central Tennis Camp June 6 – July 22. Contact “Coach Pat at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 219-241-2120.
- IN Junior Master Naturalist is a wonderful 2016 Summer Camp opportunity for science-minded 9-13year olds to learn, explore and volunteer outside at Fort Harrison State Park. Email email@example.com or call 317-591-1022.
- Join STEM Scouts at McKenzie Center for Innovation & Technology, 7250 East 75th Street, Door 6, Lab 4N! Meetings are every Wednesday from 4:00 to 5:30pm, for elementary (3-6) and middle school (7-8). Sign up today at stemscouts.org/indianapolis! For more information, contact Bethany Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org
Indian Creek Elementary
School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
10833 East 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46235
The attendance line is available 24 hours a day, 317-964-4405. If absence is not confirmed by parent/guardian, it will be UNEXCUSED! Please call the attendance line by 8:00 am if your student will be absent.