McDaniel Family Newsletter
September 2, 2022
Leodis V. McDaniel High School
A Note from Principal Skyles
Hello McDaniel Community,
This week, I have witnessed students helping one another find classrooms, encouraging one another to head to class on time, and generally looking out for each other. I have observed students in classrooms engaging in conversation with one another, laughing, and sharing stories. It has been great to have students and staff back!
Counselors are still working on schedule changes and will be making adjustments into next week. Please use the link on our main page to make any schedule requests.
We are finalizing our club advisors today and Tuesday and will share club information early next week. We will also have our club fair on September 14th, students will be able to learn more about clubs and sign up.
I want to give a few shout outs. Our volleyball team has started the year 2-0 and girl's soccer got a great first win last night 3-1 vs Century. Boy’s soccer plays their first game today at home vs Southridge at 4pm. Football had a great back and forth game last night, unfortunately, losing a close one. The student sections at both the first home volleyball win versus Cleveland and last night for football have been great examples of how to show school spirit, have a great time at a school event, and still be professional and positive! We have amazing students!
Have a great long weekend and let us know if you have any questions.
Principal McDaniel High School
2022-23 School Updates
Back to School Night
Wednesday, Sep. 21st, 6-8pm
McDaniel High School
Student ID Card - REQUIRED FOR ALL STUDENTS
Student ID Number
Free and Reduced Lunch/Breakfast at McDaniel High School
Visit the McDaniel High School website for many resources, including a comprehensive daily calendar of school events, contact information for teachers and administrators, study and test preparation resources, college and career information, and much more.
The Weekly McDaniel Family Newsletter
The McDaniel Family Newsletter will be sent to parents and/or guardians each Friday.
This will include information from our parent groups (Boosters, PTA, Foundation, etc) on how to get involved, volunteer opportunities, fundraising, etc.
Last year we began using the Trivory App (developed by a former PPS student!) as a tool to deliver school news and reminders quickly and easily. Students, parents and any other community members can download the Trivory App on your phone or iPad from your App Store to stay in the loop! It can also be accessed on your computer. We highly encourage all students to use the Trivory app as an easy way to see the day's schedule (A, B, Flex, All 8, etc) and the bell schedule for that day and all the calendar events for the day (see the photo below)
Be sure to go into settings and ensure all notifications are turned on to get the most out of Trivory.
Students and families in Grades 10, 11 and 12 who already have the app, be sure and change your grade level from last year as we send news and reminders to specific grades when applicable.
We have a great attendance system in place at MHS! Please check out our procedures on our webpage. Please use the Absence Reporting Form to report/excuse all absences to our Attendance Clerk (Janna Holm). This data is used to update synergy. Once you fill out this form, you DO NOT need to call or email with the same information. You may use this form for past, current or future, full-day or partial-day absences. Please clear absences within 3 school days. Please note that the parent or guardian must excuse an absence or tardy even if the student is 18 years old.
Student Accounts & Equipment
2022-23 Bell Schedule & Calendar
Stay in touch with Athletics
Athletic Director, Tyler Kelleher, email@example.com
Athletic Admin Assistant, Monica Di Pietrantonio, firstname.lastname@example.org
Weekly Athletic Schedule
Generation Wow Event
What is SUN & What are we up to this year?
McDaniel SUN is gearing up for a big school year! Curious what SUN offers and is up to this school year? Here's all the deets:
ALL McDaniel students are invited to REGISTER for SUN to be part of any of the following afterschool activities this year:
- Monthly SUN Workshops (the 1st one of the school year is Sept 6 + 7. We are taking a small group of students to learn a cool type of printing at Outlet PDX. Flyer attached. We will also be hosting CPR and Food Handler Card Certifications, Meal Prep for Seniors, Screen Printing, Ceramics, and MORE).
- Free Meal in Commons, 3:30-3:45
- Tutoring, Mondays-Thursdays, 3:30-5:30
- Escalera + Early Escalera with Latino Network
- IRCO African, Pacific Islander, and Asian Student Groups with Advocates
- Jobs 101 (15+)
- Pathways to Trade
- College Possible (11th + 12th graders)
- Passion Impact (social justice andservice group)
Attached are SUN forms for you to share with students. Activities begin the week of Sept 19. Parents use QR code to complete and it's good for the entire 2022-2023 school year.
SUN also provides resource navigation through our FRN Jack! You can come visit him in 031 (Mon-Thurs available after 10am!) or email him at email@example.com.
He can help families navigate rent + utility assistance, food insecurity, etc.
SUN also offers a Free Food Market EVERY Friday 2-4pm (across from the football field by the parking lot).
Come visit 031C anytime to chat, get more info or collaborate.
Our school nurse is Susan Milholland, firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-916-5220, ext 81194
Out of respect for our community, please stay home if you are feeling ill. School excludable symptoms are:
* Fever (100.4 F or above)
* Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
* New loss of taste or smell
* Vomiting (48 hour exclusion)
* Diarrhea (48 hour exclusion)
* Positive COVID-19 test
* If your student has a health condition and/or needs to have medication at school, please click here for more information: Notifying the School Nurse of Your Child’s Chronic Health Condition & Medication at School* Please review the following document that outlines the required immunizations for school attendance by the State of Oregon Immunization Requirements 2022-23
Stay Involved through ParentVUE
For information about schedules, changing schedules, making appointments with your counselor and much more, please review the Counseling Department Newsletter
Student Last names A-C Tracy Morrison
Student Last Names D-GL & AVID Erin Hale
Student Last Names GO-L Crissy Phommachack
Student Last Names M-RI Neomi Navarro
Student Last Names Ro-Z Brandon Rawls
Newcomer ESL - Brian Meyer
Counseling Secretary, Julie Hunt
College Coordinator, DK Kelly
Career Coordinator Erica Spencer
A Message from the McDaniel PTSA
Introducing the McDaniel Parent Teacher and Student Association (PTSA) 2022-2023 Board Members:
- President: Julie Scott
- Vice-President: OPEN
- Secretary: Krista Wheeler
- Treasurer: Jim Holstein
- Volunteer Coordinator: OPEN
- Membership Coordinator: OPEN
- Fundraising: OPEN
- Web Administrator/Communications: OPEN
- Safety Committee: Heidi Schultz
We are operating with the minimum amount of board members and need amazing humans to fill the following positions so that we can serve our students, teachers and communities more effectively:
- Vice President - If you have a desire to fill the President role in the 2023-2024 school year this is a great way to learn the role. Time commitment 30-60 minutes per week (more if you want, there's a LOT of potential with this role)
- Volunteer Coordinator - This is for you if you like a good list. This is a role for the organized and motivated. Time Commitment 30-60 minutes per week.
- Membership Coordinator - Great opportunity if you like to grow things and want minimal involvement, but still be involved . Time commitment 30-60 minutes at beginning of school year, and then much less.
- Web Administrator/Communications Coordinator - This is for you if you love to get the word out and want everyone to know all the things
- Fundraising coordinator - Great if you love to raise money and then give it away to worthy causes and programs boosting the McDaniel community. This is a role for the energized and big hearted . Time Commitment 30-60 minutes per week.
These positions are open to all parents and students, this is a great opportunity for students to gain work experience and receive a recommendation or reference for resumes. Contact PTSA (email@example.com) for more info.