November 16, 2015
Membership DEADLINE Alert!
Register by Nov. 16 and Win Big for Your Chapter and Classroom
Membership has its advantages — and with SkillsUSA, the number of ways you and your students can benefit is immense.
- As an advisor, when you register 15 student members in your training area plus one or more professional members by Nov. 16, you will receive a copy of Ignite, a new resource designed around the SkillsUSA Framework with a variety of classroom activities that spark student engagement.
- Professional membership that is submitted at any time during the school year grants advisors access to Jump into STEM! This new program teaches SkillsUSA members how to facilitate STEM workshops for elementary-school students. The downloadable curriculum includes 22 activities for hands-on learning.
- The third resource, free to paid professional members who submit membership at any time during the school year, is the Career Readiness Curriculum (CRC). This program supports the framework of the SkillsUSA mission, which includes personal, workplace and technical skills grounded in academics — all essential to a successful technical education and future workplace success. The CRC includes 29 lesson plans and is based on national employability initiatives. For more details on these incentives, see the membership kit or visit the SkillsUSA website: www.skillsusa.org/membership-resources/advisors/membership-kit/.
Have You Started Your Chapter Excellence Program Application Yet?
Start your Chapter Excellence Program (CEP) application today and begin to earn recognition for your chapter! The online application is on the main page of SkillsUSA’s membership registration website once you have logged into your school account (www.skillsusa-register.org/Login.aspx). Questions? Everything you needed to know about implementing the CEP can be found here: www.skillsusa.org/programs/chapter-excellence-program/. The CEP honors chapter achievement relative to the SkillsUSA Framework of developing personal, workplace and technical skills. It establishes a quality baseline that all chapters are encouraged to attain, with extra incentive for exemplary chapter performance. The program consists of four award levels, with the first three levels recognized by the state association and the final level eligible for national recognition.
SkillsUSA Scholarship Opportunities
Don’t miss these incredible scholarships opportunities available for students on the SkillsUSA website.
- Sharon Melton Myers Memorial Scholarship: https://skillsusa.wufoo.com/forms/sharon-melton-myers-memorial-scholarship/ — deadline is April 29.
- National Technical Honor Society Scholarship: www.skillsusa.org/membership-resources/scholarships-financial-aid/national-technical-honor-society/ — deadline is April 1.
- Southeastern Construction Owners and Associates Roundtable (SCOAR) scholarship: https://skillsusa.wufoo.com/forms/scoar-scholarship/ — deadline is April 1.
- SkillsUSA STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Scholarship: www.skillsusa.org/membership-resources/scholarships-financial-aid/skillsusa-stem-science-technology-engineering-mathematics-scholarship/ — deadline is March 15.
- SkillsUSA Alumni and Friends Merit Scholarship: www.skillsusa.org/membership-resources/scholarships-financial-aid/alumni-friends-scholarship — deadline is May 1
‘Mike Rowe for SkillsUSA’ Public Service Announcements (PSAs)
SkillsUSA supporter Mike Rowe, on behalf of his mikeroweWORKS Foundation, has joined with SkillsUSA to produce a new audio PSA that addresses the growing problem of the skills gap and positions SkillsUSA as a solution to that problem. Thirty- and 60-second versions are available at the links below.
Help us spread the word by contacting your local radio stations and encouraging them to add these PSAs to their rotation.
How? The easiest way is to find the station’s website and look for an email or phone contact for the station’s public service or PSA director. If you can’t locate that info, try the station’s general manager. Next, send an email asking the contact to consider adding the PSAs to the station’s playlist. That’s it! In just a short amount of time, you can help the SkillsUSA message reach thousands. Consider making this PSA promotion a chapter project and integrating it into your program of work.
Remember, SkillsUSA is your organization. Thanks for joining with us and Mike Rowe to help spread the word about the life-changing opportunities SkillsUSA is providing students across the country. For additional information and to download the PSAs, visit:
Get Ready to … Jump into STEM!
SkillsUSA members are bridging the gap between elementary-age students and STEM careers with the groundbreaking new program Jump into STEM! Elementary-age participants take part in dynamic and interactive experiences facilitated by SkillsUSA members. Jump into STEM! materials are detailed and organized to make facilitation simple, yet power-packed, with information that will engage participants in a meaningful experience and intentional learning. The curriculum provides 22 interactive and memorable sessions, each written to introduce elementary students to different STEM careers and career clusters, as well as the value of SkillsUSA. During the sessions, chapter members introduce themselves, present activities that engage student learning and share specific career cluster and occupational information. The curriculum includes two sessions for 11 of the Career Clusters.
Jump into STEM! is a free member benefit of SkillsUSA professional membership. Professional members receive an automatic email upon submitting membership that includes a PIN for easy access into Jump into STEM! and the Career Readiness Curriculum, both of which are conveniently located on the advisor login page of the SkillsUSA registration site.
HP LIFE Important Changes — Action Needed By Users
HP LIFE is changing to a new platform. To make this transition as smooth as possible for you and your students, you need to do a few things over the next two weeks.
- When you log into HP LIFE, you should be getting a message asking you to “opt in.” Please have everyone opt in. Or, you may have been getting emails reminding you to opt in with a link. Either way will work. If you aren’t sure if you have opted in, you can do so at the link below. Opting in allows your HP LIFE account to be transferred to the new platform without the need to create a new account.
- Visit the HP LIFE e-Learning “opt in” Web page.
- Download and save certificates, transcripts and business plans that you have earned or are working on. The certificates should transition to the new platform without any issues, but it is always better to take precautions. The transcripts will not be immediately available but will eventually flow to the new system. And, the business plans are turning into a downloadable resource that will be available in the educator section on the new platform.
More information will come as the transition gets closer, but a few things keep your mind at ease:
- The URL will remain the same — it is still www.life-global.org/go/skillsusa
- The content in the courses will remain the same, although it will be organized slightly differently
- Students will still have the opportunity to earn certificates by completing this material
- HP LIFE is planning for the transition to take place in mid-November (but this is not a firm date; it may be later)
Stay tuned — and if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Kim Norbuta at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need Help with Your Chapter or Registering Members? Call the SkillsUSA Membership Hotline Toll Free, 844-875-4557
Hotline operators are ready to answer your questions on how to start a new chapter, engage chapter members and strengthen an existing chapter — you name it, they are ready to tackle it! Operators are on call from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. (Eastern time) Monday, Wednesday and Friday and from 11 a.m.-7 p.m. (ET) Tuesday and Thursday. Don’t have time to call? Send the operators an email at email@example.com or chat with them online at the membership registration site.