August 16, 2020
Together We: Learn, Grow, Lead
I am both proud and thankful to be a Bulldog! We are living through a pandemic. At Grange Hall, we continue to build relationships and move forward together!
GHES Families - we can't wait to meet our new families in person and look forward to sharing our wonderful school community with you this year. All families are activating ParentVue accounts, engaging with us on FB and continuing to support and encourage our Bulldogs.
Faculty/Staff - you are engaging in learning how to teach virtually, developing course content, Canvas pages and remaining positive. Our office staff is welcoming new families and supporting all families daily. Our custodial & facilities team are working to get our building ready for students and teachers to return. Teamwork is shining through in all that we do!
GHES PTA - Engaging with our community & faculty to help support the opening of school in Fall 2020. Check out their FB page & website (linked below).
We are Bulldog Strong in 2020!
With love and appreciation,
Principal & Lead Learner
August MAP Administration
Chesterfield County Public Schools is excited to offer students the opportunity to take their fall NWEA MAP tests from home prior to the beginning of school. Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) is a suite of assessments that tell us where students currently are in reading in mathematics, and how much they have grown over time.
Students in grades 2-10 take this assessment three times a year (fall, winter, and spring). Due to a loss of in-person instruction due to COVID-19, it is even more important this fall that teachers have a better idea of where students are so that we know where to start to craft a more personalized learning journey for each student when we return to school. To that end, we are offering the opportunity for your student to be tested from home before school starts.
The CCPS MAP Landing Page will give you more information about what this assessment is, what to expect when your child is testing, how long the test will take, as well as the opportunity for a practice test. Our plan is to have test sessions available between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. daily, with one evening session scheduled Tuesday of each week. Your student can test at any time in the window below.
The assessments will take place as follows:
Aug. 24-28: All reading tests
Aug. 31-Sept. 4: All math tests
This opportunity to administer MAP assessments before school starts is open to students at all schools in grades 3-10. We are waiting to test incoming 2nd graders after school starts.
Students in grades 3-8 will test in reading and math.
High school students enrolled in English 9 and English 10 will test in reading; students enrolled in Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry will test in math.
The details of the exact test session times will come from your school within the next week.
We understand that testing before school starts may present significant challenges to some families, and we will work with those students to provide MAP testing once school resumes. No student will be penalized or disadvantaged in any way if they can’t test until school starts.
ParentVue Survey - extended deadline
Team Chesterfield families,
While we continue to plan for a virtual start to the 2020-21 school year, we wanted to share two IMPORTANT updates regarding the Project Restart re-entry plan:
- The deadline to respond to the ParentVUE questionnaire has been extended to 5 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 20. This will allow families more time to review re-entry plan options (which will be implemented in cohorts/phases after public health metrics are met for face-to-face instruction) and select the learning environment that is best for their student(s).
- As a reminder, there are three questions in ParentVUE to answer. They include whether your child will return to in-person learning or remain in a virtual learning environment once the school division is able to return to face-to-face instruction; how your child will get to and from school; and whether there are any alternate bus stops needed for your family.
- A family must respond for EACH child. Please remember that the transportation questions are important so that we can appropriately plan bus routes, given limitations we will have regarding the number of riders on each bus.
- Step-by-step directions for accessing these questions in ParentVUE are attached.
- Below is a more visual look at the re-entry options found within the ParentVue questionnaire. Details in the document have been communicated previously; however, we realize some families prefer a more visual look at options. If a family wants to change its intentions after reviewing the visual look at Project Restart options, they may do so through 5 p.m. on Aug. 20.
Parents who have not established a ParentVUE account or who need an activation code school contact their child’s school on Monday morning.
Response to these questions is critical in order to help school division leaders plan and staff for the eventual re-entry of students for in-person learning. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!
Chromebook Information for Parents
As we conclude Chromebook distribution to all students, the school division’s Technology Department is reintroducing Chromebook support hours to assist parents and students as they prepare for the start of school.
Please note the new schedule below, which includes one new location:
- Wednesday, August 19: Thomas Dale High at 3626 West Hundred Road, Chester, VA 23831, from 8-11 a.m.
- Tuesday, August 25: Thomas Dale High at 3626 West Hundred Road, Chester, VA 23831, from 8-11 a.m.
- Thursday, August 27: Clover Hill High at 13301 Kelly Green Lane, Midlothian, VA 23112 from 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 1: Thomas Dale High at 3626 West Hundred Road, Chester, VA 23831, from 8-11 a.m.
- Thursday, September 3: Clover Hill High at 13301 Kelly Green Lane, Midlothian, VA 23112 from 1:30-4:30 p.m.
The Thomas Dale HS support location is at Door No. 2. Visitors should enter from the student parking lot facing Old Centralia Road.
The Clover Hill HS support location is at Door No. 11. Visitors should enter through the large parking lot next to the school.
Virtual Learning @GHES
Below is the virtual schedule for our Grange Hall students beginning on Sept. 8. Please note that your child(ren) will receive an individual student schedule with specific times at our reverse school supply pick-up in late August.
GHES Virtual Master Schedule
8:30 - 9:00 am - Bulldog Pride/SEL Morning Meeting with whole class
9:00 am - 10:55 am
- K-2 students will engage in Reading instruction
- 3-5 students will engage in Math instruction
10:55 - 11:20 am - Lunch for all GHES students
11:25 - 1:00 pm
- K-2 students will engage in Math instruction
- 3-5 students will engage in Reading instruction
- K-1 integrated in Math/Reading time
- 2-5 integrated in Math/Reading with additional time built in for specific content
*Resource classes - (Art, Music, STEAM, Library, & P.E.)
- Grades K-5 will have a 20 minute block of resource daily
1:00 pm - Instructional day ends for students
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm - Teacher planning, Professional development, and communication with families.
Each grade level will have a consistent Canvas home page where all student instructional resources and Google meeting link will be accessible. Your child's teacher will share a video with their individual Canvas page details during our virtual open house in late August. Please see links below for Canvas info.
Virtual Back-to-School Info - Mark your calendars!
- Virtual Open House - Thursday, Sept. 3 (details coming next week)
- Reverse School Supply Pick-Up @ GHES - Thursday, Sept. 3 - 4:00-6:00 pm
*Students will receive a dry-erase board & individual schedules.*
Virtual School Supply List 2020
We have a bin in front of the main office for students to drop off any library books that need to be returned.
Yearbook production was delayed due to COVID-19. We anticipate a late August delivery to the school, and we will create and communicate a plan at that time. If you didn't get to order and would like to now, please purchase via this link https://www.ghpta.com/order-yearbook - deadline July 31, 2020. Yearbooks are now $36 each.
New Student Registration
New student registrations are available by appointment. Call (804) 739-6265 for more information and to set your appointment.
For families that have not already scheduled an appointment to complete registration paperwork for their KG child, we will be setting up appointments using the Sign-Up Genius below. For these appointments, just 1 parent should attend. Unfortunately, we are asking for just 1 person and no children right now.
You will need to bring the following items:
Child(ren) Shot Records
Physical (if you have one at this point)
Deed or Lease Agreement
Original Birth Certificate
If you are not the homeowner or leaseholder, you will need to bring the person you reside with, their deed/lease agreement, and 2 pieces of mail in your name that shows the address.
Please contact our main office at (804) 739-6265 to schedule an appt.
**Kindergarten Ready program link from FACE**