4th Grade Happenings: Week 12
Reagan Elementary - Leander Independent School District
Week of November 10, 2014
WELCOME TO THE 4TH GRADE!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- factual information from graphs
- fact vs. opinion
- Sitton List 10 - Spell Check on Friday 11/14 in class
- Skill Focus: their/they're/there/there's/theirs
- Skill Focus: /oi/ spelling patterns - oi (voice), oy (boycott)
- comparing, composing, and decomposing fractions & mixed fractions
- continue Early Texans research - people of the Central & High Plains, Mountains, & Basins
Science: New Unit - Making Connections
- sound energy
- thermal energy
- vocab quiz on Friday 11/14
- begin Personal Narrative #2 - due Friday 11/14
- grammar focus - quotation marks in dialogue
OUR CURRENT WEEK
Monday 11/10 -
- green specials day
- math homework sheet due to math teacher
- reading homework due (logged online by 5:00 Sunday 10/9 or handwritten summary & minutes read turned in during class today)
- fall picture retakes -
- blue specials day - LaCombe library day - DON'T FORGET YOUR BOOKS!
- purple specials day - Beasley library day - DON'T FORGET YOUR BOOKS!
- red specials day (no specials due to Veteran's Day Performance)
- 4th Grade Veterans' Day Play - daytime performances for grade levels, parent/family performance at 6:00 pm
- orange specials day
- Spell Check over Sitton List #10
- Making Connections Vocab Quiz #1 (words on website under "Science Homework" and linked below)
- Bookfair preview for Lacombe & Beasley homerooms
For which specials (PE, Performing Arts, Visual Art, Library) your child goes to on what day, please see the Our Town website under "Specials Schedule".
SCIENCE IN ACTION
Mechanical Energy - Planes
How far does a plane go on 15 propeller rotations? On 50?
ON THE HORIZON - Upcoming Dates
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
New items from the previous week's newsletter are in italics below.
Until Thursday, December 11th
- Reagan Pajama Drive - see details below
Week of 11/17
- Scholastic Book Fair in library
- Turkey Luncheon on campus; watch the Reagan Insider for more information
Monday - Friday 11/24 - 11/28
- Thanksgiving Break, NO SCHOOL
- 5th Grade Business Fair - during specials
- Holiday Parties; more information closer to date
Monday - Friday 12/22 - 1/2
- Winter Break, NO SCHOOL
- End of Second Nine Weeks
- Homework sheet given out in class on Monday 11/10 and due back to school Monday 11/117
- Online Reading Log & Questions - 80 minutes reading and online homework on website due Sunday evening 11/16; if you would prefer to turn in a hard copy, read 80 minutes and write a short BME (beginning-middle-end) summary on a piece of looseleaf paper. Three to five sentences, no more necessary.
- Study Sitton List 10, given in class on Monday 11/10 and checked in class on Friday 11/14. List can also be found in your child's travel binder behind the "spelling" tab, by clicking the link directly below, or a soft copy is available on the Our Town website under "Spelling Homework".
- Spelling Worksheet - their/they're/there/there's/theirs homophone practice worksheet (2 pages) - given out in class and due back Monday 11/17. Soft copy available on the Our Town Website if you need to print at home.
Pajama Drive Information
REAGAN PAJAMA DAY!
WEAR A PAIR! SHARE A PAIR!
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 7TH - THURSDAY, DECEMBER 11TH
It’s time for the GREAT BEDTIME STORY PAJAMA DRIVE!
We are kicking off our drive on Friday, November 7th by having a Reagan Pajama Day! We’re calling it “Wear a Pair, Share a Pair”, as we continue to support our Great Bedtime Story Pajama Drive!
- Wear pajamas to school on Friday, November 7th (remember they should be school appropriate and you must also wear shoes)
- Bring a donation for our Pajama Drive. Remember:
- We need new pajamas
- Sizes infant to adult (think of teens!)
- Drop your donations in the tub outside the QUEST room
- Collecting until Thursday, December 11th.
- Remember, Scholastic Books donates a new book for each pair of pajamas we collect. Cool!!!!
- Our Reagan goal is to collect 475 pairs.
Thank you for showing care and concern for needy children!
Thanks much for understanding!
Karen & Stephanie