Counseling Center NewsLetter
Erin Barnett (D-HEN) ext. 4021
April Marquez (Her-McC) ext. 4019
Greg Swaggart (McD-Sch) ext. 4020
Kerry Stites (Sco-Z) ext. 4018
Carrie Rodebush, Secretary ext. 4103
Melissa Madden, College/Scholarship Coord., ext 4003
Counseling Fax (816) 986-4116
- February 1-15: 2018-2019 Enrollment; Student PowerSchool Access
- February 9: Student class/HCC/STA/Cass applications due
- February 12: 8th grade Parent Orientation Night; 6:30 pm LSW PAC
- February 12, 13, 15: Students work with advisors to complete enrollment
- February 14-15: Counselors at SLMS for enrollment confirmation
- February 15: Student Enrollment Closes
- February 16: Early Release
- February 19: Presidents' Day; no school
- February 20: Summer School Enrollment Opens
- February 21-22: Parent/Student/Advisor Enrollment Conferences
- March 2: Teacher workday; no school
- March 8: Women of Color Leadership Conference
- March 19-23: Spring Break
Full Calendar Available on the LSW Counseling Website: http://lswhs.lsr7.org/counseling/
2018-2019 Class Enrollment Is Open!
- Students in grades 8-11 are currently enrolling for the 2018-2019 classes.
- Please go online to access all necessary enrollment information and materials.
Parents/guardians must meet with Advisors & confirm enrollment for the 2018-2019 School Year!
Career and Educational Planning Guide
Find detailed information about graduation requirements, course descriptions, career plans, Off Campus Programs, and much more!!!
Secondary Summer School
Career and Educational Planning Guide
LSW Class Applications
Classes requiring applications include: IB Art, SBE CCE and Marketing Internship Programs, College Credit English, Intro. to Broadcasting, Intro. to Yearbook, News for Print, College Algebra, and many more!
ALL Applications are due February 9 by 3:00 PM
Off Campus Career Programs
Attn: Seniors!! MCC Paid Apprenticeship and Hire KC Youth Job Fair - March 24th
Get a chance to interview with a variety of businesses working in welding, manufacturing, and industrial trades. Starting wages range between $30,000 to $60,000+, and there is an opportunity for both career growth and advancement toward your college education. Pprospective students are encouraged to attend this opportunity via Mayor James HireKC and MCC's March 24th event. You can contact Shonda Atwater (Her contact info is listed below for you) at MCC for any additional questions not covered in the flyers and text below.
Apprenticeship Outreach Director
MCC-Business & Technology
1775 Universal Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64120-2429
Shonda.email@example.com | www.mcckc.edu<http://www.mcckc.edu>
At LSW: Math Tutoring (Room 1232) 6:30-7:25 am M, T, TR, F and 2:30-3:30 pm M, T, W, TR. English Tutoring (Room 2119) 2:30-3:30 pm M, T, W, Tr.
Khan Academy: Free, online tutoring for all levels math, science, and history.
Tutoring Available at Mid-Continent Public Library
Tutor.com: For those who may benefit from additional online tutoring, the Library offers free, real-time tutoring services in more than 25 academic subjects, including math, science, social studies, English, and foreign languages, through Tutor.com. In addition to live help, Tutor.com also provides complimentary standardized test preparation services. Watch this brief video to learn more.
Tutors for Hire (list provided by LSR7): Tutor List
ACT Dates and Prep Courses
- ACT Test Dates and Registration: actstudent.org
- NEW! ACT will offer a 7th test date starting July 2018.
- Family Connections- Students can log onto their Family Connections Account and access a wealth of free ACT Practice/Prep called "Naviance Test Prep".
- Students can take a course called "ACT Prep" as one of their elective classes at LSW. This class is a semester long class and offers content, test strategy, and test practice.
- After school ACT Prep Classes Offered in November, January, and March. The cost is $40. Flyers available in the Counseling Center. Register with Ms. Madden ext. 4003
LSR7 School Community Liaison/Social Work Services
LSWHS School Community Liaison: Christine Mize, LMSW ext.1420
The School Community Liaison's role is to link students and families with resources and provide support. If you would like to receive more information about how our School Community Liaison may be able to help you or your family, please feel free to complete our School Social Work Services Form or print off a downloadable form and turn it into your student’s counselor. Once it is received, our School Community Liaison will contact you.
A creation of the Kauffman Foundation, KC Scholars supports postsecondary achievement through scholarships, financial incentives to promote college savings, and support services for low and modest-income students and adults. More information can be found on their website http://www.kcscholars.org/about-kc-scholars/ Applications open January 1, 2018.
Sending Transcripts: Students must have a completed transcript release form on file with Ms. Madden before a transcript can be sent to a college, college coach, or otherwise. Hard copies of the release form are available in the Counseling Center or they can be accessed at- transcript release.
Seniors - How to request a transcript for a college application. Students needing a transcript sent for college applications need to do so using Family Connections. Click on the link for instructions. Family Connections Quick Guide to Requesting Transcripts.