Aunt Elda Experiment
Was it the anesthesia or something else that killed Elda?
Before you can get started you will need a few materials. Those materials include: graduated cylinder, computer, food coloring, water, pipet, cuvettes, colorimeter, and the Lab Pro Software.
The Steps to the Procedure
2. You need to calibrate the colorimeter. Prepare a Blank by filling a cuvette 3/4 of the way full with distilled water.
- Only grab the cuvettes by the top edge of the ribbed sides.
- Always position the cuvettes with their reference mark facing toward the white reference mark at the top of the cuvette slot on the colorimeter.
4. Collect the absorbance data for the standard solutions. Click "collect" at the top of the Logger Pro document.
5. Discard the cuvette contents as directed by your teacher. Fill the cuvette 3/4 full with the 40% sample. Place it in the colorimeter and close the lid. When the absorbance value stabilizes click "keep", type the 40% in the edit box, and press the enter button.
6. Repeat the steps until you have sampled all of the solutions. onec you have finished gathering your data, click stop.
7.Rinse your cuvettes with water well and dry as best as you can. Fill full with the unknown solution and place it in the colorimeter. read the absorbance value displayed in the meter. Once it is stabilized, record the value in your data chart.
The colorimeter monitors the light received by the photocell as either and absorbence or as a percent transmittance. a higher concentration of the soultion absorbs more light than a solution of higher concentration.
Computer Set Up
You will need you computer to track and record all the data throughout the lab. The colorimeter needs to be plugged into the computer otherwise the computer won't receive the data. You will need to open the Logger Pro Software.
You will need this to be able to make you "Anesthesia" solutions.